✅ SOLVED Axe head and weird looking metal object with holes in it.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to get some info on the axe head in my photo. Any idea about the age of it? The property I found it on was built in the mid 1800's. The other item with holes in it is another matter. I have no idea whatsoever what its purpose would have been.Any help would be much appreciated. Also the horse shoe is one of the smallest I have ever seen. What would it have been used on? I placed a quarter in the pictures to give you an idea of the size. I forgot to mention that the long item above the axe head is a bar of lead. When I dug it I thought of the last episode if Diggers when they found a silver bar, but mine is definitely lead. Thanks in advance. Happy hunting. August 19, 2015 002.jpgAugust 19, 2015 004.jpgAugust 19, 2015 003.jpg

Last edited:
The harp shaped item with the rod is probable a sheet music holder...possibly German silver...

Horseshoe possibly from a toy horse...too small for a pony...although it could be from a Merry-Go-Round (Carousel horse)

The holed item is possibly a wall attached suit coat holder (WAG)

The axe is obviously an old ax head...vintage beyond my ability...someone will ID for sure

Upvote 0
The deal on ax heads like the one that you gound is to clean it up to see if there's a logo or or other mark. If you don't find anything put a handle on it. The horseshoe looking deal might be the end from a throwout bearing release fork. The item with the holes reminds me of a broken shoe tree or the footstep for a shoe shine stand.

Upvote 0
You have a mule shoe. Mules are a cross between a donkey or jackass and a horse. Depending on the cross breeding particulars, mules can be very large, or quite small.
Ordinarily small mules and donkeys don't need to be shod. However back in another life there was a fella with a tiny stage coach and 8 up of very small mules or pony's pulling
it in lots of parades, and one time I had the fortune of putting shoes on those critters. Don't remember what the team was now, mules or ponies, but I"m thinking ponies.
Mules feet are shaped like donkey feet, so when you know what you are looking at, it's easy to tell the difference between horse and mule feet. I don't see any evidence of
nail holes in the shoe. There should be three or four nail holes down each branch of the shoe. Lacking nail holes, the shoe was never used and perhaps made for another
purpose. I made a few trivets out of horse shoes with a toe grab and heel caulks.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the info. I believe there are nail holes on the shoe, but they are rusted closed.
You have a mule shoe. Mules are a cross between a donkey or jackass and a horse. Depending on the cross breeding particulars, mules can be very large, or quite small.
Ordinarily small mules and donkeys don't need to be shod. However back in another life there was a fella with a tiny stage coach and 8 up of very small mules or pony's pulling
it in lots of parades, and one time I had the fortune of putting shoes on those critters. Don't remember what the team was now, mules or ponies, but I"m thinking ponies.
Mules feet are shaped like donkey feet, so when you know what you are looking at, it's easy to tell the difference between horse and mule feet. I don't see any evidence of
nail holes in the shoe. There should be three or four nail holes down each branch of the shoe. Lacking nail holes, the shoe was never used and perhaps made for another
purpose. I made a few trivets out of horse shoes with a toe grab and heel caulks.

Upvote 0
Holed object is snow brake/ guard. Google it. I'm on my phone or I'd post a picture

Upvote 0
Here are two examples I have at my shop. I have installed many of them

Attachments

• 1445596867916.jpg
    1445596867916.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0
NEEET FINDS , AND I THINK YOUR BAR IS LEAD FOR SOLDERING OR CASTING ...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back