Awesome early 1700s clay pipe reconstruction!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally got around to checking out the 50+ pipe stems I dug on Sat from the early colonial pit site with my friend Stan. I've made it a habit after each pit dig to examine the stems closely and see if I can match any of them up. But it's very rare to even find 2 small pieces that fit together as there are usually the remains of a large number of pipes in each pit. This morning I picked up the longest stem piece first which was about 4.5" long. The first thing I tried was to see if it would match up with the almost complete bowl I found that had a long stem attached. I was shocked that they did indeed match up perfectly. I used the product "Liquid Nails" to glue them together, and the result was an awesome 8" long display piece. I measured the bore diameter of the pipe and it was in between 5/64s (1710-50) and 6/64s (1680-1710). Based on this I think it's a reasonable conclusion to assume this pipe likely dated to around 1710 give or take a few years. This matches up nicely with the age of the black glass, the bottle seals, pottery, and other artifacts that were recovered in this hole. This is the longest reconstructed colonial clay pipe I've ever been able to put together, and I'm very happy about that. And yes, I did check to see if I could find another piece to add to the end and extend the pipe even further, but that was not the case. I guess I now have the motivation to go back to my boxes of previous pit recoveries and see if I can get lucky again.

Attachments

• pipe recon1.JPG
    pipe recon1.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 342
  • pipe recon2.JPG
    pipe recon2.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 326
  • pipe recon3.JPG
    pipe recon3.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Upvote 12
Looks good to me.I do the same thing with arrowheads I find in the same field.That will display nicely.

Wow! Finding a stem-to-bowl match is almost as rare as finding one intact. That is an awesome display piece and I am super jealous!

Bill, you have alot of patience but it turned out really nice. I hope you are able to find the rest to complete it.
ZDD

Very cool. I love the early pipes!

Nice reconstruction Bill. You should do a post on My Best Finds of all your reconstructions.

That is really special. How do you keep from breaking up those things when you dig?

Those clay pipe stems are more durable than you might think. It's pretty hard to break one if you're alert and careful with your digging. What worries me is breaking a nice pipe bowl as they're much more fragile. One technique that I use that cuts down on possible damage to artifacts is to insert my probe rod into the ground about 3-4" from the edge of the hole, push it down all the way, then pull it toward you which just breaks off all the loose dirt into the hole. That way there's not any chance of damaging anything with a shovel. But at this particular site it's difficult to use that technique due to all the roots present.

That proves that they're out there, and it is possible. Gives us hope.

Great post!

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back