Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this on the sandy side of a hill. My first thought was part of a Atomic toy Pistol but now I don't have any idea what it is. It's 3 3/8" long. The small end has a hole and water runs through it. I think it's white metal like some cap guns are made of but it could be aluminum. ray 001.JPGray 002.JPGray 003.JPGray 004.JPGray 005.JPGray 007.JPGray 008.JPGray 009.JPGray 010.JPG

Ground anchor. It fits on the end of a rod driven into the ground and then the rod is removed.

duckbill_1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, I don't think it's a spile. The tip hole would be central axis or above the spout - not on the same side. Gravity and all that. And he four vanes on the tip wouldn't make sense for that.

In this part of New York we know know maple taps. ;-) But I've been wrong before!
HPIM1234_zps9b03fb0e.jpg

HPIM1226.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Roger....If that's a ground anchor....how deep did you dig that thing? LOL

Upvote 0
Ground anchor. It fits on the end of a rod driven into the ground and then the rod is removed.

View attachment 1067889
Thanks Charlie P. (NY).It does look like it but mine has a hole all the way through it to let liquid flow. It's also tapered and has a little knob sticking up were a bucket could hang and not slip. I'm thinking more towards maple syrup sap bucket spout spiles.
http://www.fertilec.com/biodiversite/images/stories/Brochures/Brochure Duckbill_en.pdf

Upvote 0
Looks more like a maple tap to me.
I think Mud Hut is right about it being a maple tap. It is tapered on the inside and would probably split if driven into the ground with a steel rod.
I'm not yet ready to mark this solved. Lets see what others think about it.:dontknow:

Upvote 0
I vote for maple tree sap tap, I have seen various shapes and materials, but always a taper to them, the ground anchor does not seem to have a taper and the item in question does.

Upvote 0
Heck, I was hoping it would be an atomic ray pistol. Got some people in Washington I would like to try it on.:exclamation:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back