Atocha coin real or fake

Kitkatt

Aug 11, 2024
Hello I recently found what I believe is an Atocha coin.
But I believe it has the word copy on it strategically placed under the gold bit.
I'm trying to see if I'm seeing things.
Also if it's worth anything.
20240811_165521.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240811_170718.jpg
    IMG_20240811_170718.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 37
I'd say copy, are you even sure if it is gold?

It's a copy and it's stamped copy at the lower right tab in the first picture.
That's what I thought too . Thank you .
I just can't even find a place that would sew them online . So I was alittle hopeful. Lol

That's what I thought too . Thank you .
I just can't even find a place that would sew them online . So I was alittle hopeful. Lol
I know that they make copies of Atocha coins out of silver found on the shipwreck. They used some of those massive bars that were found. However, I do not recall those being marked "copy" anywhere. Here is an example.

1723584828806.png

According to the posting, and markings on the pendant, these are also made with a 14k frame. If you travel in the Caribbean you will see these in tons of jewelry stores. Not to say it is worthless, but you can safely say it is definitely worth less than an authentic coin. Normally they have some value as jewelry and collectability exceeding the metal content.

Out of curiosity, did you find this on a street or something? I see some scratches on the frame holding the coin. I might be mistaken, but it also looks like the bail has been crushed like a car ran it over?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back