Asking for someone’s coin expertise on mint defects

EDavis

Aug 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Along with metal detecting I got into going through any change I have and look for coin defects. I’m new at this and have found a couple and wondered if I could get an opinion on if they could be of much more than face value. The quarter on the back has line through letters top and bottom and couple other defects if you zoom in. The dime is stamped deeper on one side and rim is thicker on one side.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpeg
    IMG_0050.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0051.jpeg
    IMG_0051.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0136.png
    IMG_0136.png
    834.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0135.png
    IMG_0135.png
    692.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0052.jpeg
    IMG_0052.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0053.jpeg
    IMG_0053.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
Upvote 7
Sorry, nothing there to make it worth more than face value on either coin. The quarter has some damage done to it, and the dime is just a poor stamp job.

what does the edge of the dime look like, is it still reeded?

Along with metal detecting I got into going through any change I have and look for coin defects. I’m new at this and have found a couple and wondered if I could get an opinion on if they could be of much more than face value. The quarter on the back has line through letters top and bottom and couple other defects if you zoom in. The dime is stamped deeper on one side and rim is thicker on one side.
Hi there, I own a coin shop and the errors are just pouring in all the time but the resell market is just not there for me.

Regards, Bob

Hi there, I own a coin shop and the errors are just pouring in all the time but the resell market is just not there for me.

Regards, Bob
are you part of a network of shops that interact with each other and can find things for folks?

"EDavis", on your 1971-D Washington Quarter, it looks like you have a double die error in the " In God We Trust" motto. Someone on EBay is selling a similar coin for $13. I don't know how rare it is, but sometimes
coins like that go up in value when the coin world decides that it is rarer than once thought. A good example is the 1936-D 3 and a half legged Buffalo nickel. For years you only heard about the 1937-D 3 legged buffalo which commanded a high premium because of its' rarity. Now, the 1936-D has surpassed the 1937-D in value since it was discovered not too long ago. I'd hang on to it and see if anymore people are interested in that particular error. Good luck !!
Link to EBay coin:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
are you part of a network of shops that interact with each other and can find things for folks?
No, I just like collecting things here and there! I like the thrill of metal detecting and discovering the history behind the stuff I find. Looking for mint mistakes is just as neat and is new venture.

"EDavis", on your 1971-D Washington Quarter, it looks like you have a double die error in the " In God We Trust" motto. Someone on EBay is selling a similar coin for $13. I don't know how rare it is, but sometimes
coins like that go up in value when the coin world decides that it is rarer than once thought. A good example is the 1936-D 3 and a half legged Buffalo nickel. For years you only heard about the 1937-D 3 legged buffalo which commanded a high premium because of its' rarity. Now, the 1936-D has surpassed the 1937-D in value since it was discovered not too long ago. I'd hang on to it and see if anymore people are interested in that particular error. Good luck !!
Link to EBay coin:
You'll notice it hasn't sold yet. People can ask anything they want. It's what sells (and it's cost) that counts. Machine doubling is just not all that rare.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's definitely machine doubling on IN GOD WE TRUST, not a doubled die. Machine doubling is from contact between the coin and the die as it is being ejected, a doubled die has the doubling on the die.

You'll notice it hasn't sold yet. People can ask anything they want. It's what sells (and its cost) that counts. Machine doubling is just not all that rare.
Thanks for the information!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back