Arrowhead or natural?

jpowers

Dec 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a local creek where Iā€™ve found numerous artifacts in the past. Never found one made of this material though. Can anyone help me with an ID, or is it just a pointy rock? Found in southwest Virginia. Thank you.
IMG_1697.jpeg
IMG_1696.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1698.jpeg
    IMG_1698.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1695.jpeg
    IMG_1695.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1699.jpeg
    IMG_1699.jpeg
    809.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Upvote 12
Found this in a local creek where Iā€™ve found numerous artifacts in the past. Never found one made of this material though. Can anyone help me with an ID, or is it just a pointy rock? Found in southwest Virginia. Thank you. View attachment 2122858View attachment 2122859
Looks genuine..., definitely cultural
Always a good find - you're in the neighborhood...!
Keep looking!

it has the basic shape and a lenticular cross section it appears.
It looks like a stemmed point, that's been polished to some degree - ??
The base does not look thinned.
Thats a tough call from a photo.

Found this in a local creek where Iā€™ve found numerous artifacts in the past. Never found one made of this material though. Can anyone help me with an ID, or is it just a pointy rock? Thank you. View attachment 2122858View attachment 2122859

it has the basic shape and a lenticular cross section it appears.
It looks like a stemmed point, that's been polished to some degree - ??
The base does not look thinned.
Thats a tough call from a photo.
I think it appears polished from rolling down the creek for so many years. At first I was leaning towards natural, but I can definitely see flaking on it, which is why Iā€™m not certain now.

1st photo I was leaning to a no, 2nd it went to a yes, as it looks worked, just very worn as stated.

1st photo I was leaning to a no, 2nd it went to a yes, as it looks worked, just very worn as stated.
Southwest Virginia. Iā€™m leaning towards rhyolite. Here are a few pictures of it after drying off.

Attachments

• IMG_1701.jpeg
    IMG_1701.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1700.jpeg
    IMG_1700.jpeg
    809.5 KB · Views: 35

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back