cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Arrow Head, I was looking in the springs on the ranch yesterday for them and came up empty handed, other than a handful of petrified wood. Today out walking with my dogs I picked up what I thought was a piece of broken glass and this is what I found. I don't know anything about arrow heads so any information would be greatly appreciated! P1080015.JPGP1080014.JPGP1080007.JPGP1080005.JPGP1080010.JPGP1080011.JPG

Upvote 0
I would say a knife , over an arrowhead. Nice find!

Thanks Digger, I just did some looking online about your idea of it being a knife versus and arrow head, I am not sure how to tell the difference in most cases! I was and still am really excited about this find, I can't wait to get out there again this week with my detector in my hand and my eyes WIDE open!

Yes, obsidian looks like glass, that's how you get your 'eye in'. You may start finding more now.

Nice point!! Post it over on the North American Indian Artifact forum. Tony
Thanks Digger, I just did some looking online about your idea of it being a knife versus and arrow head, I am not sure how to tell the difference in most cases! I was and still am really excited about this find, I can't wait to get out there again this week with my detector in my hand and my eyes WIDE open!

Your on the right track IMO. That's the kind of stuff to look for. Good find.

Thank You all for your comments!!!
OMG Now I am even more excited! I have dug ten's of thousands of holes on this ranch in the past five years. (Private Property with owners consent) I take walks with my husband my eyes are always to the ground or in the trees looking for Native American trail marking trees. He has to take my hand to get me to keep walking! LOL I haven't found a trace of Native American artifact, I was losing hope! I was literally just picking up broken glass too close to a play area on the ranch, where I would be concerned for a child's safety. I thought it was the glass from the old brown medicine bottles. I could not believe my eyes! It is almost above freezing, so I am going to get out there and look some more!

Yes, obsidian looks like glass, that's how you get your 'eye in'. You may start finding more now.

Thank You for taking the time to reply to my post and for the word "obsidian" I had no idea what kind of stone it was, so I have spent the last hour reading about that! I learned so much and I thank you for that! Thanks again!

Nice point!! Post it over on the North American Indian Artifact forum. Tony

Good Idea, that is where I am heading! Thank You for taking the time to reply and for the tip!

It's not obsidian.
Kind of small for a knife ... nice and straight as a projectile point ... I'd say an atlatl dart point.

I replied to you on someone else's comment earlier today. This was suppose to be replied to you,"Thanks Digger, I just did some looking online about your idea of it being a knife versus and arrow head, I am not sure how to tell the difference in most cases! I was and still am really excited about this find, I can't wait to get out there again this week with my detector in my hand and my eyes WIDE open!"

I replied to you on someone else's comment earlier today. This was suppose to be replied to you,"Thanks Digger, I just did some looking online about your idea of it being a knife versus and arrow head, I am not sure how to tell the difference in most cases! I was and still am really excited about this find, I can't wait to get out there again this week with my detector in my hand and my eyes WIDE open!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back