Arkansas point identification?

gdrumm93

Greenie
Feb 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, this is my first post here. My little brother found this point on my family's property in Arkansas. Can anyone give us any insight on the age of this piece or who could have made this possibly? I also have what we believe to be an axe head (I can post pictures if anyone is interested). Thanks for looking!
arrowhead4.jpgarrowhead3.JPGarrowhead2.jpg

Upvote 0
It's an Aux Arc point. They are Late Archaic and pretty common for the area, although usually misidentified.

It's an Aux Arc point. They are Late Archaic and pretty common for the area, although usually misidentified.

Aux Arc Projectile Point

I would have never guessed closer than Archaic. Great find and ID.

Edit: However, I had considered the Epps.

Thanks for the info! It seems like it's a point that is very specific to this area. There doesn't seem to be much info about this type online.

Thanks for the info! It seems like it's a point that is very specific to this area. There doesn't seem to be much info about this type online.

Epps aren't found near the Ozarks, they are Poverty Point related. You will find more information about the Aux Arc in Perino's volume 3 of "Selected Preforms, Points, and Knives...", CSAJ 39 & 40, and Overstreet 15. Any time that you hear the statement "It kinda looks like a Table Rock, but the stem's wonky and not ground" you can bet on it being an Auc Arc.

It’s not mozarkite. I’ve found it in ne Oklahoma and se Kansas too. As Far East as Springfield but once you get down to Fayetteville the material changes. All the streams south of Fay are that dark brown gritty sandstone looking stuff.

So its sandstone?

Last edited:
Epps aren't found near the Ozarks, they are Poverty Point related. You will find more information about the Aux Arc in Perino's volume 3 of "Selected Preforms, Points, and Knives...", CSAJ 39 & 40, and Overstreet 15. Any time that you hear the statement "It kinda looks like a Table Rock, but the stem's wonky and not ground" you can bet on it being an Auc Arc.

How old would you guess that this point is?

So its sandstone?

Haha no. I kinda got off topic with that one. I was saying that this particular material can be found down to Fayetteville. All the creeks change after that.

Also, it looks like a Grand type to me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back