Are You Discouraged? Frustrated?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you ever get so discouraged with your beach hunting results that you just want to quit? Believe it or not, and I don't mean this in a cynical fashion in any way, but, if you do find yourself getting this discouraged then you probably should quit. Just go home and put the machine up for a few days, maybe a week or more. Sometimes it's easy for us to become too driven and all too inspired at the worst possible times. Under these circumstances the discouragement can often came far too quickly and far too severe as we allow ourselves to become worn out mentally a lot faster because our expectations have far exceeded the realities of the actual hunting environment.

I only bring this up because it seems that there is a lot of discouragement right now, hunters spending hours on the beach desperately in search of targets, any target, “Please just give me one little tone.” Well, believe it or not you're not alone as just about everyone on either cost of Florida is experiencing this same thing because it's that time of the year when “very slow” is the normal routine, so what's the rush? Why those big expectations and penned up aspirations? If you're going to go anyway then go just to enjoy the beach and the sights because that's likely all you're going to discover to enjoy anyway right now.

Right now everything is all about “mindset” and those who will succeed will certainly go into their hunt with the right mindset, the advanced knowledge that they're not going to find much worth finding. However, they are certainly going to enjoy their time on the beach, the sights, the sounds, and the energy of it all. Before they even realize it they're two hours into their enjoyable hunt VS those other hunters who are already frustrated and ready to quit. This doesn’t mean that these happy hunters are going about their hunt with any less precision, it only means that they are doing it in an enjoyable fashion with the proper frame of mind. And if a few goodies are found would you like to place any bets on who is going to be the lucky recipient of those discoveries?

Everyday I go to the beach I am going there to find one thing, gold! And everyday I go to the beach I am going their fully dedicated to that search. But, everyday I go to the beach I also go there that the odds are always stacked against me, “always”. I don't care how well you know a beach or how busy the beach has been or how good all of your hunting skills are, the odds will always be against you in the end, the most skilled of hunters only able to shave those enormous odds against them a shade or two lower. So regardless when you go to the beach always go there to enjoy the beach atmosphere first. Being frustrated and discouraged is no fun and it WILL only serve to impact your metal detecting efforts negatively. Enjoy the beach, embrace a happy and positive attitude, and you'll experience greater enjoyment and success. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just wish I lived closer to saltwater as a lot of you do - a lot of the beaches I like to hit are 2+ hrs away
weather and health have slowed my efforts this year - but 2012 was awesome for me

and though I did not get a lot of gold in 2013 - I got silver and/or gold on almost every outing
CASPER'S 2013 METAL DETECTING FINDS - YouTube

just got to wonder how Id be doing if I was closer to the shore

It's so bad...I'm watching Diggers as we speak!!:icon_queen:

I second Mel Fishers motto! The times when I've went out with that attitude in mind I've always made good finds. Either silver or gold. Somedays for some reason b4 I even get to the each I know that "today is the day" I'm gonna find gold and then I do. And days that I know are going to be slim pickins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back