✅ SOLVED Are these colonial reins guides??

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found a lot of these round items with and without the swirl design, but I'm not certain of their specific use. They had an iron attachment and included a recessed slot on the back side which made me think they might be a reins guide. I've also found smaller, rectangular shaped pieces that appear to have served a similar purpose. These are common finds on 18th century sites and I see them posted all the time, but I've never figured out exactly what they were used for. If you can point to an online reference that would be helpful too. Thanks.

Attachments

• reins guide1.jpg
    reins guide1.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 162
  • reins guide2.jpg
    reins guide2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 118
  • reins guide3.jpg
    reins guide3.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 120
  • reins guide4.jpg
    reins guide4.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 127
I'm no expert on anything.

But I would think that the hole for the rein strap needs to be very large to get good movement of the rein? Like the huge eyelets on later 1800 guides?

Upvote 0
I've found several similar pieces too and based on ids and discussions on detecting forums I've concluded that they're belt or strap keepers; similar to the loop on your belt , once a strap is fastened or cinched in a buckle the end is secured in one of those. Not so much a reins strap but one on a saddle or device used on tack.
I don't have any supporting info or pictures to back that up at this time

Upvote 0
If you believe things posted on the internet...

r52915.jpg

Seems reasonable to me.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I've found several similar pieces too and based on ids and discussions on detecting forums I've concluded that they're belt or strap keepers; similar to the loop on your belt , once a strap is fastened or cinched in a buckle the end is secured in one of those. Not so much a reins strap but one on a saddle or device used on tack.
I don't have any supporting info or pictures to back that up at this time

Thanks for your input. What you're saying makes good sense, but would love to see these documented on a website somewhere. And why the iron connector on the back? Seems like this piece would have slid onto a narrow strap so why wouldn't the entire thing be of copper alloy construction?

Upvote 0
MAN I NEED TO HOOK UP WITH YOU BILL THATS MY KINDA HUNTING . LOVE THE COLONIAL STUFF AND I ALSO HAVE ONE OF THOSE STRAP HOLDERS . MINE IS JUST LIKE THE PLAIN ONE , AND FOUND IT AT A 1801 HOUSE .

Upvote 0
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/94940-any-ideas-what-brass-item.html

If you can find a picture of these items in use please post. You will be a 'what is it' legend. I too think they are leather guides but still think it is up in the air how they were used for sure. Maybe this go around someone can find a pic of the actual item they were attached to....

Those are the back plates to the 5 pictured 'U' shaped pieces at the top of this post. Trying to find a late 18th C leather guide still in use, would be amazing.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back