Are summer camps a good spot to go metal detecting?

pio_dov

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2024
Southeast Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My camp's been in use as a sleepaway camp since '48, but before that it was a train station and a spring house. While staying the past two summers, I found a few metal hair beads, a belt buckle, and a really old spoon in one of the cabin villages. With those things combined, I feel like it would be a nice place to take a detector. Has anyone ever found anything interesting or noteworthy at a summer camp? Or would it just be a waste of time? Thank you in advance!

My camp's been in use as a sleepaway camp since '48, but before that it was a train station and a spring house. While staying the past two summers, I found a few metal hair beads, a belt buckle, and a really old spoon in one of the cabin villages. With those things combined, I feel like it would be a nice place to take a detector. Has anyone ever found anything interesting or noteworthy at a summer camp? Or would it just be a waste of time? Thank you in advance!
Camps are a great place to detect, particularly if they are older. Don't be surprised to find that someone has already been there. I was lucky to be the only person to detect a Scout camp in my area that opened in 1939 and I've found about $50 face value in silver coins alone, plus all the clad, pennies, nickels, and other items.

Scott

In my limited experience, just about anyplace can be either good or bad, depending on your interests (what kinds of things you hunt for), aspirations & expectations.

I'm actually more intrigued by the train station & spring house aspects. I'd love to detect that camp!

Good Hunting!

Thank you! It's a Y camp rather than a scouting place, but that won't make too much of a difference I imagine.
As for what I'm looking for? Pretty much anything cool and detectable. Jewelry, tools, coins, whatever the heck people brought to spring houses in the 1800s, you name it.
I also forgot to mention this earlier, but there's an entire abandoned resort under the camp too. Most famous part is a burnt down mansion because it's the only one with intact ruins. Here's hoping the camp gives me permission to go (if I do, I promise I'll post any finds here!)

Don't forget to check any swimming areas if the camp has them. That has always been the spots with the biggest rewards in my experience.

Has anyone ever found anything interesting or noteworthy at a summer camp? Or would it just be a waste of time?
Thank you! It's a Y camp rather than a scouting place, but that won't make too much of a difference I imagine.
As for what I'm looking for? Pretty much anything cool and detectable. Jewelry, tools, coins, whatever the heck people brought to spring houses in the 1800s, you name it.
I also forgot to mention this earlier, but there's an entire abandoned resort under the camp too. Most famous part is a burnt down mansion because it's the only one with intact ruins. Here's hoping the camp gives me permission to go (if I do, I promise I'll post any finds here!)
And you still need to ask ‽ 🤣

Dude. Get out there and put your coil to the soil! (Once you get permission 😉)

Don't forget to check any swimming areas if the camp has them. That has always been the spots with the biggest rewards in my experience.
It has a swimming pool rather than a lake. The lake they rent over the summer for sailing sounds like a JACKPOT (it has a flooded town beneath it), but I'm allergic to the algae.

It has a swimming pool rather than a lake. The lake they rent over the summer for sailing sounds like a JACKPOT (it has a flooded town beneath it), but I'm allergic to the algae.
If there is dirt or grass around the pool then that is a good spot to due to people sun bathing. A friend of mine would detect abandoned swimming pools and would find silver coins just beyond the concrete sides. Think of it as you would a sidewalk. A coin hits and rolls of into the grass.

Same logic applies to the lake. Sun bathers and people beating the heat by hanging out under trees along the water's edge. To get into the water they had to walk over that ground, am I right? I detected along a small swimming pond once.

Once, I found a small coin spill under a shady tree. In one hole, about 4 inches down, were 5 wheaties and 2 war nickels. Just thinking that someone probably put their coins down before jumping in only to leave them all behind is a cool thought. That find isn't much on its own, but I consider that an awesome day. More important was the memory. If you have the ability and permission then hit those spots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back