hrangelotti

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2013
tallahassee
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone have experience with these? are they pretty productive? i'm planning on hitting up a few apartment complex tot lots and was wondering if i went at sunrise if the people who work there would give me a hard time about being there or if i should just ask for permission? they might say no that's what i don't want but there are so many complexes here with tot lots and volleyball courts just waiting to be searched. just wondering what you guys have done????

Upvote 0
I would make sure to check for any signage and then give it a shot. Most of the complexes are privately owned so that could be of some concern. Just make sure to cover those holes...

Along with checkin for signs I do know alot dont like outsiders, meaning if you dont live there they may not want u detecting there,playing,etc

It's private property so you shouldn't hunt without permission. I definitely think a sunrise or nighttime search wouldn't be right. I'd suggest you visit the rental agent and sell them on how well you can remove trash and harmful things from the playground.

thanks guys! i'll look into it with the property managers

Honestly if you ask a "property manager" you are most likely going to get a no.

The reason being is a property manager, is just that. They do not own the property so really can't give you a real yes, unless they take the time to contact the owner's.
The property manager in no way can give you permission to go on property they don't own and let you take things, be it something you detected, a lawn ornament, fire wood, or even a leaf.

Just like if I managed a car lot, I couldn't let someone just come and drive your car you had in my lot simply because I was the manager.

If you really wanted to get permission you would be best doing some research and finding and contacting the owner's yourself and getting permission directly from them.

Just my 2 cents, hope it works out for you. HH!

Just do it and if someone gives you trouble tell them you just moved into 4B.

Just do it and if someone gives you trouble tell them you just moved into 4B.

Ya then What when they say prove it then u cant so not only ur gonna get in trouble for detecting trespassing & im sure pending on place & there mood mayb more, is it really worth the trouble, fines police ? Not when u can just go right down the road to a place that u know u can detect with no issues

We've got some really big apartment complexes in my city .... so big, that they have their own little play-lot, sandbox, etc... And I highly doubt anyone is going to know a tennant from a non-tennant. But sure ... knock yourself out and try to get permission if you want.

For example: I live in a private gated community. And we have our own softball field, playground, etc.... On any given day, there'll be random people using the park. Including full-scale games, because residents bring over their school sports practice leagues, etc... There's utterly no way to know who's from actually living there, to who's a guest, to who ........ simply drove in.

Now since I attend our H.O.A. meetings and know board members, I can just envision someone coming in to request permission to metal detect. Odds are, they'd be told "no". (afterall, why do *we* want to be bothered? How do *we* know that every other "yahoo" won't start showing up "looking for gold", blah blah). But as I say, if you just went, ..... no one would know you from Adam. In fact, when I first moved here, I did, in fact, hit our own park (before anyone even knew me yet). I was not asked for anything, no one approached me, etc... (in fact, I was the only one in the entire park as it was dusk and cold late that mid-week afternoon, etc....). So I could have just been Joe-Blow and not have been a resident.

But granted, there's about 100 homes in our HOA, so ..... you've got to use a little common sense on where you hit, how you conduct yourself, etc...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back