Anyone recommend a decent long handle beach/sand scoop for $100.00 or less

Sorry, you are going to have hard time finding a decent sand scoop with a breakdown handle for $100 or less that will survive digging in wet sand for long unless you luck out and find used scoop. A cheap scoop will just be a waste of time and money and will not last long.

A word of advice, if you buy a good Scoop for $200, 5 years down the road you can sell it for $150 all day long.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Terry, I learned something right off, there is a difference between a sand scoop and a water scoop and not just the length of the handle. I'm hoping some of the guys will post the scoops they are using and how durable they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Post removed, Terry please do not post links to nonsupporting vendors, it violates our rules.

The lighter the scoop, the more expensive. A large, long-handled aluminum RTG scoop is about 4.5-pounds. A $90.00 stainless steel scoop, and a $70.00 carbon fiber handle runs a little over 2-pounds.

The aluminum nose of the RTG scoop will wear down (two-years) in the sand MUCH faster than the steel (four-years and counting).

Happy Hunting and Big Gold!

I posted decent scoop, not something like a backhoe where I'm going to dig to China. I'm an old man, don't want a scoop that weighs 5lbs to drag around. I was hoping that some of the beach water hunting folks would chime in on what kind of scoop they are using, but they must be using an old tin can with holes drilled in it screwed to a shovel handle:laughing7:. Because if they were using $150.00-$500.00 scoop, they would be bragging about, I know I would if it were all that great and worth the money.

I'm an old man, just looking for something to give my back a break.

The lighter the scoop, the more expensive. A large, long-handled aluminum RTG scoop is about 4.5-pounds. A $90.00 stainless steel scoop, and a $70.00 carbon fiber handle runs a little over 2-pounds.

The aluminum nose of the RTG scoop will wear down (two-years) in the sand MUCH faster than the steel (four-years and counting).

Happy Hunting and Big Gold!
One of my scoops is the RTG Beach Brute, I had a stainless steel lip riveted on to protect it. I also have the 10" Sunspot Xtreme.

I have sold 2 good scoops used I bought new and recovered 80% of what I paid fir each after using them for 5+ years. $10 a year for a top of the line scoop is well worth the investment.

I took a guy out a few years ago had one of those cheap 100.oo scoops. I could nail the targets in 3 to 4 scoops, I swear, took 20 scoops before getting the targets out. Which is fine with me, the more time your digging one target I've done dug 3 or more.

Best scoop every made for me, had it 7 years now, Stealth 720. Dug a lot of gold with it.

I do know not all scoops work their best at every beach. You want -wide- at fresh / shallow drop beaches, and ........ more narrow and long for hunting deep targets beaches. The 720 is the latter and the 920 is for fresh drops. Chuck has since stopped making them.

Like TH said, 200 up will gets you a Great scoop. 100 or less, Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back