Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the first time in a while I found a coin (maybe token?) that i can't identify.

One side has some script lettering. Other side has a woman holding a scale.

I see some words on the lettering side that I can't quite make out. Looks like "MERE"

My initial guess is that its Canadian.

Thanks in advance. 20201011_111736.jpg20201011_111742.jpg

It's a token/medal and not coinage since there doesn't appear to be a any date (unless it's hidden under gunk.)

The initials look like LR or RJ. (That fancy script always gets me confused.) And it looks like REX above the LR.
D.G.Rex .

DĀ·GĀ·REX is a Latin title meaning By the Grace of God, King"
DĀ·GĀ·REG is a Latin title meaning By the Grace of God, Queen

The other side looks like a thin waisted person holding a scepter(?), looking right, out over some ships.

Interesting to see what others come up with for a history.

Upvote 0
It's a token/medal and not coinage since there doesn't appear to be a any date (unless it's hidden under gunk.)

The initials look like LR or RJ. (That fancy script always gets me confused.) And it looks like REX above the LR.
D.G.Rex .

DĀ·GĀ·REX is a Latin title meaning By the Grace of God, King"
DĀ·GĀ·REG is a Latin title meaning By the Grace of God, Queen

The other side looks like a thin waisted person holding a scepter(?), looking right, out over some ships.

Interesting to see what others come up with for a history.
Thanks for the reply. With some further cleaning it says Halfpenny under the woman.

Thinking something similar to this View attachment 1870453

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This may not be the exact variety, but thatā€™s a late 18th Century merchantā€™s token (aka Conder token) from Lloyd & Ridley of Ireland. Thatā€™s their 'LR' monogram and it doesnā€™t say ā€˜REXā€™ at the top. Itā€™s ā€˜REAā€™, as part of the ā€œPRO ME * SI MEREAR * IN MEā€ legend (For me; if I deserve it, against me). You can just make out ā€˜HALFPENNYā€™ at the bottom, below the figure of Justice.

Lloyd & Ridley.jpg

Lloyd and Ridley were button manufacturers with premises at 36 Castle Street, Dublin and also at Haroldā€™s Cross, about a mile south of the city.

Upvote 0
This may not be the exact variety, but thatā€™s a late 18th Century merchantā€™s token (aka Conder token) from Lloyd & Ridley of Ireland. Thatā€™s their 'LR' monogram and it doesnā€™t say ā€˜REXā€™ at the top. Itā€™s ā€˜REAā€™, as part of the ā€œPRO ME * SI MEREAR * IN MEā€ legend (For me; if I deserve it, against me). You can just make out ā€˜HALFPENNYā€™ at the bottom, below the figure of Justice.

View attachment 1870462

Lloyd and Ridley were button manufacturers with premises at 36 Castle Street, Dublin and also at Haroldā€™s Cross, about a mile south of the city.
Nice!!! That's definitely very close. I see 179? In the same spot as the picture you posted now that I know where to look.

Very cool. Much appreciated!!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back