✅ SOLVED Anyone know what this might be?

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this yesterday, brass or nickle. Any Ideas???
IMG_0339.JPG

Definitely a heel plate. There are several posts on the forum about this particular heart shaped one.

Upvote 0
yep,heel plate

Upvote 0
Here's what I said a few minutes ago in the other thread (in the Today's Finds forum.

Erik in NJ wrote:
> I think the jury is still out on this one, but even missing a piece they sell for ca $50 which is amazing!

I'm glad you found my older post with the factual information about them, and the photo of a dump-dug ladies' shoe from the 1870s. (Note that the plate does cover the entire heel.)

The reason they sell for as much as $50 is that many relic collectors have been (incorrectly) told they are a civil war Military relic. We now have conclusive proof that that is false, but the myth dies hard... especially when serious money is involved.

Let me compliment you for realizing "on your own" that the tiny heels these plates went on are NOT AT ALL suitable for Military footwear.

Also, the idea that they are a "code" for friendly troops is ridiculous, because the enemy would also recognize the heelprints if they were Military footgear.

The Ladies-of-the-Evening theory comes from the fact that women were not allowed in Military camps. The few exceptions were an occasional short-term visit by an officer's wife, and nurses. The latter would be wearing "practical" shoes in those conditions, not the tall tiny-heeled dressup shoes as seen in the photo of the 1870s dump specimen.

Attachments

• heelplate_heart-cutout_ladies-laceup-shoe-boot_1870s_ARHphotobyMarty_shoe2.jpg
    heelplate_heart-cutout_ladies-laceup-shoe-boot_1870s_ARHphotobyMarty_shoe2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0
Again thanks everyone for sharing your info. It's a pleasure to be on this forum...Pete

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back