Anyone found a hobo nickel?

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023

Attachments

• IMG_6649.png
    IMG_6649.png
    849.4 KB · Views: 50
I never knew this existed. Now thatā€™s a part of history you donā€™t hear about everyday. I love the idea. Anyone had the luck of swinging over one and getting it? I looked and theyā€™re not all skull altered art. They could be other portraits.
I've detected Hobo encampment. Not even a coin was found.
It would be top shelf recovery to ever dig a real one.

There's new versions out there in the marketplace now-knockoffs.

found pics of my Penny.
The reverse was ground off

000aaa.jpg

Naturally I Cannot Prove a Hobo Did it, But I was told Because it was found near the Railroad it is Possible.
Date appears to be 1960 ? but ???
Turning it Sideways it takes on a different image,
only thing I Can think Saturn Maybe ???
however may be pareidolia
000bbb.jpg

or
000ddd.jpg

Attachments

• 000bbb.jpg
    000bbb.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 000ddd.jpg
    000ddd.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I found one ........If you guys want to see it it will take some time to locate...It was found around 1982.. I knew what it was as soon as I saw it...... Now you guys are going to make me try and locate it.... Well as I write this I guess I need to see it once again..... Give me a day or two and I will see if I can come up with it..

When I first heard of them and saw a picture, I tried to make one. I pretty much ruined a nickel. Itā€™s quite an art. Especially with limited tools that a true hobo would have. I respect the skills involved. šŸ›¤ļø

Some coin shops have examples of hobo nickels and love tokens. Interesting stuff they are. Ebay also has examples, but most are resently made ones. The typical vintage hobo nickels might look like this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0065-2_grande.jpg
    IMG_0065-2_grande.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back