Anyone ever have much luck in Lineville Alabama on GOLD ?

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Re: Anyone ever have much luck in Lineville Alabama on GOLD ?

Damn i wasn't thinking------ Lineville has no internet ;D

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was at the gold camp 'bout 3 yrs ago, b4 the store was finished. Don't think you'll do much with the MD. But would only take one nice one I guess. I slucied and panned.. not much color..... maybe 2 bucks worth a day

AuMember

Jul 8, 2010
Cragford, AL
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Minelab Explorer II Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hit Alabama Gold Camp pretty hard last summer, dredging only and totaled just under an ounce over 6 trips. Lots of flour gold, pickers when you get into the paystreak. Largest nugget I've seen was just under 1/2 ounce a lady found hi-banking. My best trip is pictured below from September last year, just over a quarter ounce(5 days dredging) that trip.

Attachments

• AGC_09-16-2010.jpg
    AGC_09-16-2010.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,542
  • AGC_09-16-2010.jpg
    AGC_09-16-2010.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 947
OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Hey Thanks guys-I am going to go in a few weeks.Working on a sluice box now-Au thanks for the post,now i have a little better idea ..... :thumbsup: Did this 1/2 oz nugget come from the water or bank of the river?

AuMember

Jul 8, 2010
Cragford, AL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The nugget came from a pile by the rental hi-bankers. Jeff(owner) digs from a pit next to Horsehead Creek and deposits this material next to the rental hi-bankers. There is also material taken to the main creek(Crooked Creek) from which you can pan, sluice or use your own hi-banker.

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Thanks again Au.I am going to call Jeff at the camp & ask about 50 questions ;D do you have to sluice in the designated areas or can you rome?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

when i was there as the club was just getting going, you pay for what type of mining you are going todo! then go whereever you want doing that type of mining.i had a good time!

AuMember

Jul 8, 2010
Cragford, AL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you bring your own sluice(or any other equipment) the creek is open to you, a per day fee applies if you bring your own hi-banker or dredge. Rental hi-bankers(Horsehead Creek) and dredges(Crooked Creek) are set up in two seperate areas and no one else can encroach in these limited areas.

kilnmaint

Apr 3, 2009
Homewood, Al
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

95% of the Gold camp is open to do as you please. The only rule I ever heard was "don't build fires in the road". You can dig in the banks, or any where else.

Dusty G

Apr 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to hunt for some gold nuggets /raw gold.Has anyone had much luck in this area with a detector or is it small gold that you need to pan ?

I recently (Feb 2018) visited the Alabama Gold Camp for 5 days. The staff was great, very resourceful and informative. The camp is well maintained and the cabins are ok and quite. I took my own sluice, high banker and trommel. They let you prospect where ever you like but did ask that you not dig into the banks. As far as metal detecting, on the open field towards the end of the camp, you can shoot coins left from previous coin shoots, esp by the large tree in the middle of the field finding from pennies to dollar coins. Other than that, I didn't have much luck, found a license plate in the woods about 2" down that was dated 1977, gave that to the staff, found smelting remnants but nothing else. A lot of black garnets, red garnets and other gemstones were abundant, esp close to the same field mentioned previously. As far as gold prospecting, you are better off dredging in the middle of the creek from the rental high bankers to the end of the claim or panning the same areas, esp using the screen type pans and finishing with a spiral wheel. I didn't find any gold before the rental high bankers even though there was a lot of black sand. I found almost 1.5 troy ounces in 5 days but was ALOT of work to get it. I also found 480.50 total ct. wt. of black garnet ad am still processing the other gems. All in all, it was well worth the trip. If you really want to test your panning skills, this is definitely the place and "well worth the bang for the buck!" 20180324_170824.jpg 20180308_072521.jpg

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the write-up and the pictures!

Nicely done, and it sounds like you had a great time to boot.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread