anyone ever found a gold coin in IL or heard of somebody finding one?

Gold I have dug

TreasureFiend said:
I would say any old site has potential for gold coins the key is that you would have to dig every crapy signal to get it and most people don't stick with that thought process too long.

As for specific locations I would think old brothels or speakeasies/bootlegging sites or old taverns would be a good place to start.
A couple years ago ,I set my mind to making Metal detecting a profitable venture.I figured most everyone was trying to dig the elusive silver,while passing up the good low conductors such as nickles of all years ...And in the process were passing up Gold Coins and jewelry.........I decided for 2003 I would make it a point to dig ALL low conductors that year.............
..................After 2 weeks,and digging,and throwing away quite a few tabs and can slaw........I decided to put a few limits on my (Low Conductor Venture)........I decided that I would save all targets ,till I reached 5 pounds of junk,if by then I had not found a Gold coin or rings ---enough to make it worth my while--- I would give up,and go back to digging silvers....(If there were any left.LOL)
.................................................................. 2003 .........I dug..........pull tabs POP tops, shell casings,bullets,can slaw,and an occasional nickle....In May 2003 ,I found my first V Nickle( I then changed my on-line name to McNickle)..........................................One day I was going to work the local park.............and I decided to bring my sand scoop,and try the volley ball court............................Finnally.....I found a 10 k gold bracelet..............appraised at $45.......................
.....................I got home,and decided to weigh all the junk items that I had found so far that year..........I had started in April,,,,,,,,,,and it was just after the 4th of July.....................My junk items weighed in at just over 6 pounds.................................
.............................I gave up on low conductors that day...just one $45 Gold bracelet ahead.......And since then...........I have found 3 gold rings 1 X girls 10 k class ring,and 2 X 14 k woman's wedding rings [Diamonds were missing from their settings of course],and pretty much (By accident) ..........................................on side walk tear outs.......................................There IS ALOT of junk targets in the ground.....................So if you are going to go for the gold.............Be prepared to dig pounds of trash before you find one.

Not to detract from the thread, but if you wanted to make md'ing profitable MCE, it's really easy once in awhile.

My best clad/jewelry year paid for every detector I've owned and will own in my lifetime, unless I start buying 5k gold hunting machines that is. You just gotta give up on the notion of digging clad unless it's really a bountiful spot. Hit every carnie, fest and totlot in a large radius. Maybe 30 miles and a little more for big fests. You'll load up quick. I've been good for 30+ gold rings in a year a few times, not quite the quality and quantity of some of the better oceanside beach hunters, but mediocre around here from what I've seen from some of the better hunters hereabouts.

Some old timer up in Racine or Kenosha once said he'd pull close to 80k in a good year at playgrounds and beaches. Seems a little high to me, seems astronomically high, but maybe he didn't work and spent huge hours swinging.

Gold coinage is still a most elusive critter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back