anyone ever found a gold coin in IL or heard of somebody finding one?

I haven't found one, but I know what a $1 1854 holy gold coin sounds like on my E-Trac, so you can be sure if I hear that signal I'll be digging it. Problem is, a lot of foil balls and pop tops sound like that too. They are really small, smaller than a half dime. I think the Whites Vision will be finding some gold coins.

Well I dont know of 1 found in the ground, but found in a sewing machine drawer at an auction recently! Someone was gonna be close to having a $15 suprise, but 1 of the auctioneers workers decided to pull out the thimbles out of a drawer to sell separate and ended up finding a $20 gold coin, and several Morgan silver dollars in the process. They had a guy offer $800 for the coin right on the spot, but they decided to run it through the auction where it ended up bringing $1200. Just makes me wonder now how many times that has happened, or imagine being the person buying that sewing machine and getting it home to find that!

i guess i should start going to auctions and buying old sewing machines.. desks...etc lol

Yes, many gold coins have been found in Illinois over the years. Have personal knowledge of quite a few. Some people just don't advertise their better finds I guess, good for them!

Still digging mason jar lids myself, it's the most desired attachments I have a problem locating...

A close friend knows of several hunters who have. . . but that may be just hear-say :wink:

Lowbatts said:
Still digging mason jar lids myself, it's the most desired attachments I have a problem locating...

Found one complete Mason Jar at 7-inches with just the lid showing. . . had goose-bumps until I saw it was empty.

If anyone here has to find a gold coin, I'd put my money on watercolor. He finds all of the tiny Cracker Jack toys no one else seems to get, and hunts areas that certainly have the potential to hold some of the gold coins. I just hope I'm with him when he digs it! lol

Joe

twistidd said:
If anyone here has to find a gold coin, I'd put my money on watercolor. He finds all of the tiny Cracker Jack toys no one else seems to get, and hunts areas that certainly have the potential to hold some of the gold coins. I just hope I'm with him when he digs it! lol
Joe

Joe, you're too kind :icon_sunny:. . . If I'm going to live up to those expectations, I'll have to replace all those cracker jack icons & VDI's I programed in the XLT and replace them with the St. Gaudens ones ::)

I know of one individual who has found 3 gold coins in Illinois all at the same location on 3 different occasions. This was back in the early 1980s. Site was a fairgrounds location that had existed from the 1870s to about 1910. The entire infield section of the racetrack had since become a large cornfield. It was heavily hunted in the 1970s and 1980s and this guy hunted it alot. It was a sweet location because every coin was an oldie. I think the gold coins he found dated in the 1880s and were 2 $5 gold pieces and one $2 1/2 gold piece.

I remember hearing that last year or the year before someone found a gold coin out in Rockford. :thumbsup:

I do know of one that was found 2 years ago in Anna, IL on a site of a doctors home. It was a $2.50 gold coin.

So let's bang our heads together and brainstorm which site holds the most potential for gold and let everyone have at it!

We know fairgrounds have resulted in gold coinage finds, as well as a few larger older city parks. How about fest/carnie sites of the past?

Chatauquas?

Speakeasys?

C'mon men, we do this right someone will do the gold dance!

wow .. a lot more replies and finds then i expected to hear... that's awesome!

i agree.. let's find a 'gold-favorable' spot :icon_study: and hit it hard

being up in mchenry where some of the earliest settlers set up shop... there has to be some gold up here..................... but where

time to hit the library and find out where they used to hold fairs up here in the 1800s

rdb7 said:
wow .. a lot more replies and finds then i expected to hear... that's awesome!

i agree.. let's find a 'gold-favorable' spot :icon_study: and hit it hard

being up in mchenry where some of the earliest settlers set up shop... there has to be some gold up here..................... but where

time to hit the library and find out where they used to hold fairs up here in the 1800s

Check the archived papers, follow the white rabbit. Lacking a white rabbit, follow the red path:
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/Bai/redpath.htm

lowbatts what do you know about the lake bluff spot? have you hunted it yet?

I'm not sure but I believe the Lake Bluff site is off limits now, it has been hunted largely though by others.

I would say any old site has potential for gold coins the key is that you would have to dig every crapy signal to get it and most people don't stick with that thought process too long.

As for specific locations I would think old brothels or speakeasies/bootlegging sites or old taverns would be a good place to start.

Any period (gold payroll period) military camp with dirt floor tents that lasted longer than one pay period would be my target of choice.

gates21 said:
Merf and I talked to a guy in Esmond who found a 5.00 gold coin digging his garden (the lucky guy doesn't even metal detect).

Did you and Merf work that turf?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back