Anyone else get a private message like this one?

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Secret Hello, I have a solution to the New Orleans location. I have made contact with a person on site who has probed the area thoroughly with landscape equipment. They located something at 2.75 feet depth. The casques are said to be 2 to 3 feet deep. The spot lines up with two specific markers that meet at a 90 degree angle similar or exactly as the picture presents hands at noon and a line extending towards the III. I'm contacting you only because you might have more perspective on achieving the goal of actually digging the thing up. If you're interested I'll give you my details, but first, I'd like to check with my current contact to see if they are making any progress getting the city to permit a dig on a neutral ground. If you prefer to phone, ( ( :censored: Number Removed :censored: )Eric in Eugene, Oregon. (from user: Erexere)

Last edited by a moderator:
He's trying to give you a tip on buried treasure I think he saw you were from NO and he's too far away to dig it up. That's my thoughts.

Kinda sounds like a grave robber now that I read it again lol

Too weird . Don't pursue it, I wouldn't .

Next comes the "if you forward only a small amount so I know you are sincere I will provide you with the coordinates of the spot to dig" . . . which will be under the center of City Hall and you'll never hear from him again.

charlie's right. It sounds like an investment scam.

lmao....total scam....less than 3 feet deep and needs you.....it never ends....reminds me of the post with 2-4oz.per pound,1400 pounds and had no idea what to do.even tho he had 30 yrs mining expierience....too funny..

I googled the phone number and it's a mobile number in Burns, Oregon. I'm with the others probably a scam.

Hi all, Hi Ken. Sorry, I'm not a scammer, I'm just doing my best to stir up interest in an old treasure hunt.

I was actually responding to you're post which I just now realise was LAST year February, not just a couple months ago, which explains why you gave me you're one word respone "What?", which is then why I went into more details.

(See thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...-unsolved-1982-new-orleans-treasure-hunt.html )
Hi Ben, I just read your info, and I'd be interested in checking into it a bit more. A lot of things have been changed there over the years, our last mayor had very ambitious plans for the park which never seemed to come together. When I get a chance I'll see if I can find any period (1982ish) photos to compare it to. The only problem is I have no idea how I could pin point it if it is there, no metal and possibly 3 feet deep will make it a real challenge.

It's a really cool story, and it would definitely be cool to find, so hopefully others will be interestd as well, and maybe one of us will find it.

Ken

Sorry about any confusion and VERY sorry to be so candid. Do let me know if you're still interested.

Eric

Last edited:
Oregon and NOT Nigeria....

Well, there has been an enormous influx of illegals lately looking for that golden gift of our welfare system....

Well, once the confusion is resolved and someone takes a serious interest in solving this old treasure hunt, maybe there will be discussion of payment. Nobody knows for sure how much the clay pots are worth. They were comissioned at $500 each back in 1981-82. Depending on their condition when found its up to the art collectors what they're worth.

I did some research for a guy from England that was looking for one of the casques in our area. It is a true story, but the treasure is no longer available due to the death of the author. The casques were very unique, and would be interesting to dig up . I think only two have been found so far.

Wayne

Well after the explanation from the sender I do remember the post he's talking about. I had completely forotten about that one, so I was more than a bit confused.

Erexere, I did look into that story a bit, the big problem here is that the things were non metallic as I recall, so using a detector wouldn't help. Digging a two foot deep hole in a park without knowing I had pinpointed the exact location isn't something I want to do. Going out on the neutral ground and digging a big hole is also on my list of things I don't want to do, I'm pretty sure the city would frown on that. That's assuming it's even still there, they did a lot of work on that area post Katrina, and there's been a lot of landscaping there. Bst of luck to your friend though, I hope he finds it.

NOLA_Ken, thanks! I appreciate the perspective. I can only imagine what damage Katrina had on that turf and then whether soil work and other landscape procedures might've removed any hope of recovery, but if it was deep enough, maybe it did remain in place. Pinpointing is everything. My contact has the opinion that their ground stake hit something at almost 3 feet. I think it's best to ask the city and be prepared to offer assurances that things will be looking good as new when done and perhaps barganing to add new plantings of trees to some area of their choosing. Back in 2004 the finder of the last clay pot in the Cleveland area made a financial contribution to improve the park after he dug up a fair amount of area in the Greek Gardens.

I'm pushing for my solution to be correct. I think it's only best that I pay for someone's time and trouble including the new trees should the city be swayed. I have other locations I'm working on in WA, WI, MA, NC, SC, TX, CA, OR, and Vancouver BC. I think I'm very close to at least 3, counting this one in NO. It's somewhat of an impass for me to decide how much spend on a recovery. Vancouver looks like the best setting for a low impact dig, New Orleans might be cheapest, but that depends on the trees and landscape costs, and Oregon's location is requiring a licensed archaeologist since the location is considered historically significant- I spoke directly with the state head of archaeology on that.

Anyways, happy to join these forums and hope to see spark some interest. Even though metal detecting isn't going to have a role in this, I believe this community is pretty good at facing the challenge of working towards the goal of recovering artifacts and respecting the laws and regulations of their environment.

Well good luck with it, I don't know that I'd involve any one with the city in any kind of hunt here though. For one thing dealing with city hall is a pain, and they'll probably tell you no any way. If your friend here thinks he's got it pinpointed, and he's bold enough to try to dig it I'd say go for it. Thing is, that area is right on the edge of the Quarter, so nothing goes unnoticed and someone walking around with a shovel is sure to get some attention. I don't even hunt down there because it can be a hassle dealing with people, and also like I said the park has been really torn up in the past several years and I'm not sure there's anything to be found in the top foot of ground now. I could be wrong though, and I may try to detect there in the off season when all the tourists are gone.

I got a PM from Eric as well. He is, as already established, looking at several locations for the 1982 hunt, The Secret. He and I have been discussing the SC location. I know there are forums on this over on Quest4Treasure, but has there been a thread started on TN? Anyone think adding a thread in the Armchair section about The Secret would be worth it (if enough people on here are still looking at this)?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back