✅ SOLVED Any one good with pottery? Need help with age of sherd.

JohnDee1

Jul 28, 2018
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y’all, I found this sherd in an area I might plan on searching depending on how old anyone thinks this is. I have tried searching pottery identification resources, and the only one with similar glaze was probably not it. I think it might be old just looking at the clay, or it could be some modern decorative pot. As always thanks for the help! CD68F3F1-E9B1-46B6-9AC5-3851C81FECF8.jpegEFEF32AB-7CB5-433E-8DA1-38CD6D77A6AD.jpeg85D3DA43-1601-4A91-A053-B3637E766BAB.jpeg

Hard to say for sure, but it's made of redware clay and looks to be colonial to me. :icon_scratch:
It could also date as late as 1820 - 30.

"Redware as a single word is a term for at least two types of pottery of the last few centuries, in Europe and North America. Red ware as two words is a term used for pottery, mostly by archaeologists, found in a very wide range of places. However, these distinct usages are not always adhered to, especially when referring to the many different types of pre-colonial red wares in the Americas, which may be called "redware". In the great majority of cases the "red" concerned is the natural reddish-brown of the fired clay, and the same sort of colour as in terracotta or red brick. The colour to which clay turns when fired varies considerably with its geological makeup and the conditions of firing, and as well as terracottta red, covers a wide range of blacks, browns, greys, whites and yellows. Of the two "redware" types, both made in the 17th to 19th centuries the European-made examples were often unglazed stoneware, mostly for teapots, jugs and mugs, and moderately, sometimes very, expensive. The American redware was cheap earthenware, very often with a ceramic glaze, used for a wide variety of kitchen and dining functions, as well as objects such as chamber pots.

In American contexts "redware" usually means earthenware with a reddish body, whether glazed or not. In fact, it was very often given a white or other glaze, either tin-glazed or lead-glazed, though it is more usual to describe them as lead-glazed. Depending on the locality, this was the basic utilitarian pottery of the Colonial period of North America. It was often complemented by imported or American stoneware for large vessels where the added strength was useful. The name distinguishes the type from various other earthenware’s with white, grey or yellow colours to the fired body, depending on the particular clay used. Some redware was imported from England. Later, American stoneware in particular, and various types of modern wares, including porcelain, took over for many types of objects."

If I were you, I'd do a Google Earth overview of the area and study the topography from the ground and the air looking for obvious and not so obvious settlement locations
and fresh water sources to detect. :thumbsup:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow, I do believe you might be right. The glaze and the clay do seem to match! I will most certainly search that area. I can’t thank you enough!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back