All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    823.7 KB · Views: 110
Has funny worn patterns to me. just on the outside edges?

Upvote 0
Try flipping it down on a hard surface like a wooden table top. silver will ring. Lead will be a thud. I'm not an expert on these, but check around. These Spanish coins were reproduced.

Upvote 0
looks like a repro Atocha coin and yes they are made of silver. Google it and you should find an exact match. Most of the "treasure" coins do not have such a clear strike....you can also easily tell if it is cast or hand struck with it in hand.

Upvote 0
If that one is a fake, I think its a pretty good one, I don't say this very often, but I would need to handle that one. What's the edge look like?

Upvote 0
If its fake its a pretty good one. What looks like funny wear patterns was actually where the cob was shaved to the proper weight. No 2 cobs are exactly alike so the search begins for a match. There are many good hammered replicas on the market now and also fakes on eBay.

Here is one I found thats authentic and you can see similar funny wear patterns where it was shaved. Mine is a different cross.

cobback1.jpgcobfront1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I like & is hard to fake, is the toning & if you look at the wear on the top of the Crown, all looks as I would expect.

Upvote 0
We have a Spanish Cob section. Some of those guys have knowlege specific to Spanish cobs. They may be able to tell you.

Upvote 0
Is it gold or silver? Looks like a gold Mexican 8 Escudo. Cant see the date but isnt this a shield match with a 1731?

gold escudo 1731.jpg

cob unknown.jpegcob unknown obverse.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
First photo, top r.h. corner appears to be shrinkage due to under pour. It looks like a casting

Upvote 0
More pictures please. The entire rim looks funky. Can we see some edge photos?

Upvote 0
The first thing that I noticed is that the drill hole is too perfect and the hole on the cross side of the coin has burrs around the edge.
If it was drilled back in the day, the hole wouldn't be so perfectly round.
I'm not saying the coin is a repro, it could be genuine and then drilled recently for a piece of jewelry.

How/where did you find/aquire this? That might shed some additional info as to it's provenance.

Still, a nice coin.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• cobcompare.jpg
    cobcompare.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
Yea thats a lot closer. Maybe even the same die. Thanks Bramblefind :icon_thumright:

There are a ton of fakes nowadays and they are made with slight variations. It appears this may be a variation of common known fake. Its a replica of a Spanish colonial Mexican gold 8 escudo thats not gold.

It may be silver but its not authentic, as no 2 hammered cobs are alike, as it appears to be a match of the gold escudo on Sedwicks Fake Cob Database..

Hang it on a chain necklace. If silver, its a conversation piece of jewelry. Probably made outside the United States because it doesnt say COPY. I hope you didnt pay too much for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back