Metal Detecting

Attachments

• 4E17D8CA-B96D-4702-A69A-BCEA10A9B4D5.jpeg
    4E17D8CA-B96D-4702-A69A-BCEA10A9B4D5.jpeg
    566.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 3B74C0A7-2BF5-4DFA-93E4-7125F5691651.jpeg
    3B74C0A7-2BF5-4DFA-93E4-7125F5691651.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
Looks like the end of a belt or a purse closure.It would be on leather.

Upvote 1
I always Labeled them as Button Covers, for the Top Button on a Tux Shirt.

Though I've Never been able to Find a similar Back on the ones online

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Reminds me of a Boy Scout neckerchief thingy. I can’t really see the bottom picture, though.

Upvote 0
Jeff_of_pa got it right... that type of object has previously been identified here in the What-Is-It? forum as a button-cover, to keep shoe buttons from getting snagged on something, such as tall grass. It was invented and US-Patented in 1922. See the original Patent diagram below, originally posted here long ago by our esteemed fellow relic-ID-helper BigCypressHunter. The peculiarly-shaped bar across its back lets it fit snugly over the button's shank.

Attachments

• shoe-button-cover_1922-Patent_1419034_TN_postedbyBigCypressHunter.jpg
    shoe-button-cover_1922-Patent_1419034_TN_postedbyBigCypressHunter.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 1
Jeff_of_pa got it right... that type of object has previously been identified here in the What-Is-It? forum as a button-cover, to keep shoe buttons from getting snagged on something, such as tall grass. It was invented and US-Patented in 1922. See the original Patent diagram below, originally posted here long ago by our esteemed fellow relic-ID-helper BigCypressHunter. The peculiarly-shaped bar across its back lets it fit snugly over the button's shank.

Shoe button cover is correct. But these were more fashion than function.

As Victorian/Edwardian fashions faded in the early 20th C, the high-top, button down shoes (which covered the ankle) were replaced with simpler, lower shoes that often had a strap across the top of the foot with a single button. Since it was acceptable, starting in the 1920's, for women to show their ankles, they added a little bling to draw attention to them.

The shoe strap was passed under the omega shaped bar on the back and, as TCBG points out, the shank fit into the catch on the bar.

shoe button cover.JPG

shoe button patent drawing.JPG

Upvote 0
Thanks for the information. That takes the mystery out of it lol

Upvote 0
Shoe button cover is correct. But these were more fashion than function.

As Victorian/Edwardian fashions faded in the early 20th C, the high-top, button down shoes (which covered the ankle) were replaced with simpler, lower shoes that often had a strap across the top of the foot with a single button. Since it was acceptable, starting in the 1920's, for women to show their ankles, they added a little bling to draw attention to them.

The shoe strap was passed under the omega shaped bar on the back and, as TCBG points out, the shank fit into the catch on the bar.

View attachment 1853063

View attachment 1853064
Matt do you have a link for this patent and diagram, I’d like to read the original language of the patent…

Upvote 0
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back