Jan 29, 2006

Attachments

• IMG_2900.JPG
    IMG_2900.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_2901.JPG
    IMG_2901.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 529
Looks old and hand forged . Maybe a rope stay for holding down a load on a wagon ?

Upvote 0
Never seen anything like that related (directly) to the fur-trade. The closest thing I could think-of it resembles is a tail-stripper, used to remove the bone from the tail while skinning, but it seems alittle heavy for that.

Smitty

Upvote 0
I'll look into that, I don't think I've ever seen one. Here's a couple more items I found in the area the same night:

Attachments

• IMG_2895.JPG
    IMG_2895.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 461
Upvote 0
Definately some nice finds! I'd have a jewler straightenup that ring (wouldn't think it'd cost much). I have a large silver/turquois I used to wear, and while working I'd constantly mash it out-of-round. One of my good customers was a jewler, he'd slide it on a thin cone, tap it a few times & it was good as new.

Congrats on those finds, and hope you find some more!
Smitty

Upvote 0
Judging from the way the ends are bent on that, I'd say it was a stake of some sort. Probably hammered into wood. The "lugs" might be to keep it from being driven in too far.
Oh well, it's as good a guess as any.... ;D

Upvote 0
Found these under Fur Trade Tools.

There is little similarity (the hooks) on these called fire steels.

Tony

Attachments

• flintsteel.jpg
    flintsteel.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 391
Upvote 0
I will say for sure that it is a lug off a brass kettle or pail. When searching fur trade sites, you will find all types of cut-up kettle pieces, because the Natives made items like janglers, pendants, arrowheads, etc. from the kettle or pail. The lugs (like your piece) were discarded since they couldn't remake anything with them. It is not a firesteel.
If you have any questions about the fur trade, I can help.
Dave.

Upvote 0
Thanks Dave, I had thought of that, but it just seems too big...unless for a very large kettle anyway. Also, those 2 lead pieces on the back don't go all the way through. Here's a pic with 2 other lugs, and a firesteel (even though I know that's not it.) Do you know of any pictures of lugs looking like this?

Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_2913.JPG
    IMG_2913.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 348
Upvote 0
The top left brass lug is known as a "Dog-eared" lug and dates from the late 1700's to the early 1800's. The smaller iron lug beside it is much later, probably from the late 1800's or newer and it is broken. It should extend out another 1/2 inch and is rounded off.
That's a nice looking fire steel you got there! it's definitely from the 18th century or early 19th.
Dave.

Upvote 0
It looks like a loop for one side of the bail on a cooking pot but the thing that throws me is the lead on the reverse. This would have been riveted or welded on because lead would melt too easily and it would come loose.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back