Any ideas on what this might be?

ronjovi87

Aug 11, 2024
Can anyone please help me identify what this might be my best guess is a knife but canā€™t seem to find any pictures like it anywhere. It was found in south east Missouri about an hour south of St. Louis. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2710.jpeg
    IMG_2710.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2707.jpeg
    IMG_2707.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2705.jpeg
    IMG_2705.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2706.jpeg
    IMG_2706.jpeg
    1,014.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2704.jpeg
    IMG_2704.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2703.jpeg
    IMG_2703.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
I'd guess knife. I have a modern knapped knife that looks very similar to that. I've never seen an ancient one that looked like it though. You might post it on the Native American Artifacts forum and see if someone there knows.

Upvote 0
I'd guess knife. I have a modern knapped knife that looks very similar to that. I've never seen an ancient one that looked like it though. You might post it on the Native American Artifacts forum and see if someone there knows.
Thank you for the response. I was thinking maybe the same thing. Especially since Iā€™ve not been able to find one like it anywhere else

Upvote 0
Looks like a take on a modern-day skinning knife. I wasnā€™t aware of any stone tools with that style. Thanks for posting

Upvote 0
Very unusual with the offset base. Excellent chipping. Iā€™d guess early archaic time period. Itā€™s made from raw Burlington flint, which is very common for the St. Louis area. Just a guess but they might have broken the base when they were notching it and just reworked what was left. They didnā€™t want to waste such a nicely chipped blade.šŸ¤·šŸ¼

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back