IMG_1092.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1094.jpeg
    IMG_1094.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1093.jpeg
    IMG_1093.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 58
provide some context on this find might help.
There’s not too much to tell unfortunately … I could provide weights and measurements if that helps! These were found on a semi modern school yard but the ground has some history I guess.. I found a potential cannon ball from 1812, a small silver university ring, a silver quarter but the date is indistinguishable (it’s Laurette portrait so 1953-1964), a cufflink I posted in another thread

Upvote 0
3 and 4- Looks like the top to an old thermometer case. Or something like that.
Would have had a ring through the hole.

Both items appear to be threaded and roughly the same size. Do they screw together?

Upvote 1
Photo #4 looks like a grease fitting. Old grease gun would pop onto the ball and grease forced in via a pump handle.
View attachment 2165625View attachment 2165629
Yes! Or perhaps even just a compressor fitting you know those little
3 and 4- Looks like the top to an old thermometer case. Or something like that.
Would have had a ring through the hole.

Both items appear to be threaded and roughly the same size. Do they screw together?

First object is not threaded so no

Upvote 0
I believe you have a grease fitting and an oil cup. The cup would get a small amount of light-weight machine oil added to it. It then would be metered out to a small chain, bearing, bushing etc. Some had wicking to help hold the oil and many had covers. I’ve seen similar on antique sewing machines, small machinist mills, cold headers, etc.

Upvote 1
The second object- Is the hole all the way through the cap or just through the top piece.

It’s through the cap and not threaded .. is why it’s interesting .. the second image is threaded but has a hole as if it were on a necklace or possibly something like a compressor pulley or like people have said maybe an oil fitting but idk cause the threading… the objects were found in separate holes so potentially not related at all

Upvote 0
It’s through the cap and not threaded .. is why it’s interesting .. the second image is threaded but has a hole as if it were on a necklace or possibly something like a compressor pulley or like people have said maybe an oil fitting but idk cause the threading… the objects were found in separate holes so potentially not related at all
I think the question was is there a second hole in the threaded piece. We can’t see the inside (bottom view” of the piece in 3rd or 4th pic. If there is no hole through the “cap” it cannot be a grease fitting. If it is a grease fitting, I’ve never seen one like it.

Upvote 1
The second item that is threaded could be off a few things. It was meant to be attached to a keychain or necklace if the hole only goes from side to side and not down into the cap. It could have been to many things ranging from lazerpointer or flashlight(more modern items) or a pill container or something like that.

Upvote 2
I think the question was is there a second hole in the threaded piece. We can’t see the inside (bottom view” of the piece in 3rd or 4th pic. If there is no hole through the “cap” it cannot be a grease fitting. If it is a grease fitting, I’ve never seen one like it.
Yeah the second item goes right through the top ball but not into the piece itself and yeah the first one can’t hold anything because it has a whole

Upvote 0
The second item that is threaded could be off a few things. It was meant to be attached to a keychain or necklace if the hole only goes from side to side and not down into the cap. It could have been to many things ranging from lazerpointer or flashlight(more modern items) or a pill container or something like that.
Laser pointer is a good guess for the second one although it does look older it’s possible

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back