🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any idea what this bell or plate is from?

Williamsce24

Oct 20, 2023

Attachments

• 20231102_215735.jpg
    20231102_215735.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 20231102_215902.jpg
    20231102_215902.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 85
  • 20231102_215658.jpg
    20231102_215658.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
  • 20231102_213732.jpg
    20231102_213732.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 20231102_215821.jpg
    20231102_215821.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • 20231102_215810.jpg
    20231102_215810.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
The girl looks like something from butter or maybe a milk bottle top.

Upvote 2
I really like the harmonica cover plate. I’ve not seen that exact one before. Is the bell brass with an iron ringer?

Upvote 2
If I had to guess I would wager that that bell is from a long since collapsed clock tower that once stood in a tiny village populated by pixies who unfortunately went extinct due to deforestation in the mid-late 19th century.
The rural area beyond that village must have been known as “The Pixie Sticks”.

Upvote 7
Post a picture of the back. What size is the plate, what is it made of, and what if anything was found nearby? Are the letters you're referring to: 1) an R at 3 o'clock; 2) a 4 or A at 11 o'clock and; backwards R(?) at 10 o'clock? If so, they appear to be scratched in.

Upvote 1
Post a picture of the back. What size is the plate, what is it made of, and what if anything was found nearby? Are the letters you're referring to: 1) an R at 3 o'clock; 2) a 4 or A at 11 o'clock and; backwards R(?) at 10 o'clock? If so, they appear to be scratched in.
Yea those are what I'm referring to, that was my first thought too, scratched in not part of the design. The only things I found nearby were the other things in the post, bell and harmonica pieces, and an old pick axe head not pictured. And not sure what it's made of, possibly lead.

Attachments

• 20231103_175911.jpg
    20231103_175911.jpg
    976.5 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 1
Possibly a small pewter dish or compote.

Upvote 1
The bell could be made of tombac, as it has that grayish silver colour.
The ringer might of been replaced with even a nut, hence the glob of rust.

Upvote 2
William NICE FINDS :) WELCOME to treasurenet :)

Upvote 1
The bell has a 3 on top I'm guessing that's the size? Found at a site that was on an 1890 map. Also anyone know what this plate thing is with the girl on it? Seems to have some kind of letters on the outer rim. Any info is appreciated!
Your bell is made of bell metal (which is a type of copper alloy). It’s either from a wagon or from a servant call bell system. Best to familiarize with the various “cranks” and other paraphernalia associated with call bell systems because finding any other piece of the system would confirm the specific use of the bell. Most folks write these up as conestoga bells but most of them dug in affluent areas and slaveholding states were not. I discuss all of this in my upcoming relic ID book published by American Digger Magazine

Upvote 3
The key ID-clue for your bell is its attachment-form... whose upper half is broken off. Note that it is shaped like a vertical short flat board with a single small hole drilled through it, for a short straight iron wire (or a bent-over small squarenail) which held the bell in place on a frame, along with several other identical bells. The photos below show how that worked. It is called a Hames-Bell. The blue writing on the horse-team photo calls attention to the bells on the Hames of each horse. They were often used on a Conestoga wagon team, but were also often used on other draft-horse teams... and also buggies, etc. Note the photo below showing a single mule harnessed with Hames-Bells.

Most of the examples of this type of Hames-Bells that I've seen are made of White Tombac, though some are the usual yellow brass alloy. Being White Tombac indicates they can date back at least as far as the very-early 1800s.

Attachments

• horsegear_Hames-bells_on-rack_ON-CONESTOGA-HORSETEAM_TN_postedbyBosnmate_B1KPTJ0M.jpgC650LN2N.jpg
    horsegear_Hames-bells_on-rack_ON-CONESTOGA-HORSETEAM_TN_postedbyBosnmate_B1KPTJ0M.jpgC650LN2N.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 19
  • horsegear_Hames-bells_on-rack_ON-MULE_TN_postedbyBosnmate_O9D0FRP8.jpg
    horsegear_Hames-bells_on-rack_ON-MULE_TN_postedbyBosnmate_O9D0FRP8.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 18
  • horsegear_Hames-bells_on-rack_sideview_TN_postedbyBosnmate_B1KPTJ0M.jpg
    horsegear_Hames-bells_on-rack_sideview_TN_postedbyBosnmate_B1KPTJ0M.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 16
  • horsegear_Hames-bells_on-rack_topview-showing-ATTACHMENT-to-bar_TN_postedbyBosnmate.jpg.jpg
    horsegear_Hames-bells_on-rack_topview-showing-ATTACHMENT-to-bar_TN_postedbyBosnmate.jpg.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Upvote 1
The key ID-clue for the bell is its attachment-form... whose upper half is broken off. Note that it is shaped like a vertical short flat board with a single small hole drilled through it, for a short straight iron wire which held the bell in place on a frame, along with several other identical bells. The photos below show how that worked. It is called Hames-Bell. The blue writing on the horse-team photos calls attention to the bells on the Hames of each horse. They were often used on a Conestoga wagon team, but were also often used on other draft-horse teams... and also buggies, etc. Note the photo below showing a single mule harnessed with Hames-Bells.

Most of the examples of this type of Hames-Bells that I've seen are made of White Tombac, though some are the usual yellow brass alloy. Being White Tombac indicates they can date back at least as far as the very-early 1800s.
Thank you for the info! Great pictures , those help a lot

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back