266.5 KB · Views: 88
  • button and lock 005.JPG
    button and lock 005.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 89
  • button 001.JPG
    button 001.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Your theory was a valid one Crusader, based on the information we had at first. :) Also, the shape matches close to the decorative furniture tacks in the UK link that was supplied. No doubt there are countless members here that will remind you more soundly, why you should NOT leave this forum alone (poster here included). :icon_thumright:

Fact is, our attempts at identification of finds can lead us down the wrong path at times, and that is the risk one must take to explore theories and learn. Actually, I really enjoy learning and the times I learn the most, are when the first ideas submitted were in turn proved wrong.

CC Hunter

I never mind being wrong(& learning), I've done it a thousand times on here, I just didn't find that a helpful comment when trying to help with an ID.

I don't visit here as much as I did, but those that know, just PM me, which anyone can.

Upvote 0
You are correct, in the observation that the style of loop/shank is more in line with later era design. I have recovered buttons though, with similar style shanks from late 19th Century sites ca. 1870-1890.

CC Hunter

More than possible, I wonder whether it was once gilt, but it shows no internal signs.

Upvote 0
Cru, I apologize for the jab. It was meant to be in humour, but I failed. I was typing it (slowly) before I saw the new picture posted, basing on the earlier statement that it had a loop. Your insight and wisdom are invaluable here, and I've learned a lot from you. So, again, I am sorry.

I also agree that the front of those tacks look spot on to this item, and that there was good logic to the conclusion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cru, I apologize for the jab. It was meant to be in humour, but I failed. I was typing it (slowly) before I saw the new picture posted, basing on the earlier statement that it had a loop. Your insight and wisdom are invaluable here, and I've learned a lot from you. So, again, I am sorry.

I also agree that the front of those tacks look spot on to this item, and that there was good logic to the conclusion.

No worries, just caught me with a hangover/headacre. Its normally me with the bad jokes so I can get you on that one. No ill feelings here.

Upvote 0
ok..thanks guy's i am marking this as solved..
we all learn something new everyday..
thanks again..
owg...

Upvote 0
As all of you know, correctly ID-ing items is a lot like genealogy, sometimes the 'exact' answer can't be determined by the evidence. After seeing the loop shank on the back, I don't think we can determine 'exactly' whether it is a button or a cuff link. More cuff links were shaped ovate than buttons, yet more buttons had hollow backs than cuff links; so it's a toss up. OWG may have the best of both worlds since early cuff links were 2 buttons chained/linked together, so it makes sense the shank loops would be similar or the same.

I only found 1 pic on the Internet of ovate brass buttons, and they had been sold, so the text/webpage was not available. As shown below, the pic doesn't show the back, so we're still clueless on the shank.

I feel it is safe to say, it's either a button or a cuff link; so pick an answer. :) Breezie

Attachments

• ButtonBrass1.jpg
    ButtonBrass1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Upvote 0
No worries, just caught me with a hangover/headacre. Its normally me with the bad jokes so I can get you on that one. No ill feelings here.

Oh My! An acre size headache ("headacre") is a monster. :-\

Humor is much like a release of gas, as it rarely appreciated by those around us. :laughing7:

:coffee2:

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
Breezie,

I have never seen a long extended shank or loop, that is then attached to chain link, for cuff links. The chain link is the actual extension, so the attachment is then generally close to the main metal cuff decoration. A long extended shank, is indication of a button intended to go though thick material (such as we see with some of the shanks on military kepi buttons, designed to go through a leather strap and then cloth material).

My answer is heavy coat button, and I'm sticking to it.........until a better idea comes along. :)

CC Hunter

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back