266.5 KB · Views: 88
  • button and lock 005.JPG
    button and lock 005.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 89
  • button 001.JPG
    button 001.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
A cufflink, especially when it is missing the connector, can be very difficult to narrowly time-date. Based on the form of loop/shank in yours, I'd say sometime in the 1800s -- I can't be any more specific than that.

Upvote 0
the connector is there it has a loop on the back side..sweet cannonballguy.i do respect you opinion.
this came in a place known for civil war era.
thanks again...
respectfully.
owg...

Upvote 0
OWG, I think TCBG was referring to the 'chain' that was attached to the existing loop.

As far as a date is concerned, I think it was made before 1880s because circa 1880 George Krementz patented a device based on a civil war cartridge shell-making machine that could mass produce one-piece collar buttons and cufflinks. So since this one was connected by a chain instead of the one piece "ball & shank,' it was made prior to 1880.

:) Breezie

Upvote 0
cool breezie..it is made of brass,,
owg
it is something different than anything i've seen
weird shaped to me...for sure...

owg...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The oval item is a brass tack for furniture/wood. I get loads, mostly I think they are 19th C.

Upvote 0
The oval item is a brass tack for furniture/wood. I get loads, mostly I think they are 19th C.

That makes sense. I was trying to wrap my mind around the clothing idea, button/cufflink, yet the odd shape and sharp pointed ends are quite illogical for that purpose. The decorative brass furniture tack is an idea I can see in my mind as a possibility.

A side view of that piece would be helpful, to better show the viewers here the fastening device on the back.

CC Hunter

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hey crusader i added another pic..from the side.
owg..
OK, wasn't expecting that, thought it was a bent over pin. I'm still not convinced on the cuff link theory, never seen one like it. Looks to me like it went on clothing as a form of decor rather than functional (like a shoulder pip).

PS. that type of loop is in keeping with the military type split pin badges, I think it will turn out to be WWI-WWII era.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Given that this one has a less beefy connector with a loop on the back was this one meant to be hammered into butter, or snow maybe?

Maybe you missed the last post which said he added that new photo! (otherwise I would not have suggested it) Your reminding me why I should leave this Forum alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The side view photo certainly shows that this item indeed has a button style loop or shank, rather than a pointed brad or stud. Thank you ohiowhiteguy, for the additional helpful photo assistance.

I believe cufflink can likely be ruled out now, due to details in the design and size. A heavy coat though, where the sharp edges would not be a worry for poking, could possibly use buttons like this.

CC Hunter

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The side view photo certainly shows that this item indeed has a button style loop or shank, rather than a pointed brad or stud. Thank you ohiowhiteguy, for the additional helpful photo assistance.

I believe cufflink can likely be ruled out now, due to details in the design and size. A heavy coat though, where the sharp edges would not be a worry for poking, could possibly use buttons like this.

CC Hunter

I have had quite a few of those studs with completely bent over pins(in a loop), that is what it looked like in the first photos. (before the clinching one)

I still think its 20th C military related, just because of the shank style.

Upvote 0
Maybe you missed the last post which said he added that new photo! (otherwise I would not have suggested it) Your reminding me why I should leave this Forum alone.

Your theory was a valid one Crusader, based on the information we had at first. :) Also, the shape matches close to the decorative furniture tacks in the UK link that was supplied. No doubt there are countless members here that will remind you more soundly, why you should NOT leave this forum alone (poster here included). :icon_thumright:

Fact is, our attempts at identification of finds can lead us down the wrong path at times, and that is the risk one must take to explore theories and learn. Actually, I really enjoy learning and the times I learn the most, are when the first ideas submitted were in turn proved wrong.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
I have had quite a few of those studs with completely bent over pins(in a loop), that is what it looked like in the first photos. (before the clinching one)

I still think its 20th C military related, just because of the shank style.

You are correct, in the observation that the style of loop/shank is more in line with later era design. I have recovered buttons though, with similar style shanks from late 19th Century sites ca. 1870-1890.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back