Any advice on who can make an escudo reproduction?

About 4 mm and worked down to about 1.5 mm. It was about as thin as a Seville coin in the end. The gold is about 14 kt. I did three anealings, when I started to see small cracks. I also flattened during the last anealing.

Yeah, they had a lot of square planchette ones too, which would have been produced by flat striking lumps of silver, maybe with a trip hammer, or using a straight-edged trip shear on a flattened length of silver bar. Maybe they had several production process lines, and used them at one time or another for reasons unknown.

They would have had to have melted down the big bars into thinner, flatter sheets, to save energy and time, and to be able to feed them through a roller processing stage. I think I remember the Florida gold book talking about how the gold coins were rolled out in this way.

The shavings, or sweepings produced by the process of cutting blanks posed theft problems from what I have read from historical accounts, as there were always attempts to steal these. The Mexico mint was the most ordered, with a set of regulations described what they could and could not do during coin production. The small o above the M on the Mexico city coins signifys this distinction.

If you look at the Mexico Mint site, they have some nice products, including the 8 reals watch. Also on the site are pictures of several dies, from completed dies to the reverse dies used to make the lion and castle punches on cobs.

From Sewal Menzell's book: "Liquid silver was cast into thin bars or strips and then further pounded or rolled a half-dozen or more times into ribbon-like strips which were gauged for the proper thickness (and often about the same diameter or width as the intended five or six classes of coins) so that the planchets (blanks or flans) could be cut out in accordance with their required denomination. The cutting was done by up to twenty people, using as many heavy, large and sometimes curved shears that were often anchored into a bench (much like the manual paper cutter one might find in an office today). This enabled a workman to put his entire weight on the cutting shear (which he could not always do with his bare hands) to generate the force required to make the cuts. With the help of chisels, the planchets were often cut into irregular shapes. This might make a coin look only roughly round, rectangular, or even square. Trimming was then performed as required, using up to a half dozen distinct tools to bring the planchet as accurately as possible to its required weight."

Stan

cuzcosquirrel said:
About 4 mm and worked down to about 1.5 mm. It was about as thin as a Seville coin in the end. The gold is about 14 kt. I did three anealings, when I started to see small cracks. I also flattened during the last anealing.

Yeah, I'm afraid with 14k you might have the same problem (cracks) when you make your first strike. I would definitely get the planchet as hot as possible. Perhaps even heat the die set up some too.

The small o above the M on the Mexico city coins signifys this distinction.

If I knew that before I had forgotten it. I'll have to refresh my memory with some study. :read2:

If you look at the Mexico Mint site, they have some nice products, including the 8 reals watch. Also on the site are pictures of several dies, from completed dies to the reverse dies used to make the lion and castle punches on cobs.

I fumbled around the site because I know very little Spanish. Cool 1732 watch. Can you give me a direct link to the die pictures?

Thanks very much for sharing your development details. I look forward to progress reports. It is making me want to experiment a little.

Regards,
Stan

cuzcosquirrel said:
Libro: la acunacion en Mexico, 1535 - 2005

I would probably buy that book if it had English translations. Cheapest I saw it after a search was $160.

Thanks,
Stan

That chinese operation is pretty neato !

I'd give a buck each for the various copies they make.

Why not ?

Can't afford a real VanGosh, or Mona Lisa... So I got copies of them here on the wall.

I have some of the Chinese 8 reale copy's They are pretty good.
I use them to make hat pins with

Picture138.jpg

The NWTMint copy's are ok but really thick

Since I seem to have some time on my hands now, I might experiment with the die stamp system a little. I will probably go for a Lima 4 E first.

cuzcosquirrel said:
Since I seem to have some time on my hands now, I might experiment with the die stamp system a little. I will probably go for a Lima 4 E first.

I will look forward to seeing your results! Let us know as things progress and let me know if I can research any material or fabrication issues for you...

Stan

These replicas are available at about $900. each ..
22/24kt center coin with 14kt bezels.... Really top quality and a good buy - while gold is topping $1000 an oz.

if you need additional info email off line.. thanks

Attachments

• esc98.jpg
    esc98.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 208
  • esc846.jpg
    esc846.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 207

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back