antique button info request

DiggerKep

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys and gals I know there are some button experts on here. I found this yesterday and other than the fact that the face kinda creeps me out I can't find any information on this to try and date it or get any additional info on it. Found in an old yard in Michigan and I did the stupid mistake of while cleaning it busted off the back loop but in the process was able to see how it all went together. It's two pieces with the loop attached to the face of the button. Thanks in advance for any info someone might have on this.

Attachments

• facebutton.jpg
    facebutton.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 78
  • facebutton_back.jpg
    facebutton_back.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 85
This makes me think of cabinet knobs and drawer pulls that have the "North Wind" face on them. Is it possible someone made a button out of one of these? It almost appears that there are threads in the hole on the back, is this right?

Upvote 0
No threads on it. Good point on the north wind. I was thinking an elf or something similar. The ears seem to be pointed and it looks like a long mustache but could just be the upper mouth.

Upvote 0
Maybe Poseidon?
Note to self:
-Aeolus was the "keeper of the wind" who was probably the inspiration for the hardware I was thinking of.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back