Another what is it...

Buckeyejim

Greenie
Apr 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for all the questions everyone. I am a total newbie at this. I found this at the same old house. At first I thought what the heck a metal rock ? It's heavy for it's size and HARD. I took the edge of a drill bit to scratch it. Also it is not magnetic. Any idea on how to get the crust off of it ? Again thanks for your time everyone !! Jim

Attachments

• IMG_20180503_235057.jpg
    IMG_20180503_235057.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 146
Jim, that looks like a hunk of melted brass to me. I come across them occasionally at old home sites.

Upvote 0
GOLD ..GOLD... lol I dont know how much time you want to put in it or money but if your REALLY REALLY curious you can clear it with acid.. Thats a swing to FARRRR left but it would work..

Upvote 0
I find pieces of slag at old sites that look similiar as well. I don't know if its melted pewter, brass or iron but I've been faked out with some nice VDI numbers and thought for sure I had a half dollar a time or two.

Upvote 0
IMG_20180504_131701.jpg
Broke it in two. Took it outside and ran the AT Pro over it and it rings at a constant 80-81 also to out two 3/4 once lead egg sinkers and put them side by side touching and it gave me a signal bouncing from 60-69 don't know if this helps any at all.

Upvote 0
Sure does look like melted aluminum to me, a melted beer can makes a "campfire nugget". They sound really nice, but are light for their size.

JMHO

Upvote 0
This is definitely heavier than aluminum. To break it I took two pair of channel locks got hold of each end and bent it one way and when I went back toward the original position it snapped.

Upvote 0
The only scale I have is an old digital postal scale. For comparison the piece in question shows 1.2 oz on the scale to get that same weight was 6 quarters.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back