Another photo to get an opinion on (Is this military or not)?

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Again,

I have received some great information on my other image question and I have decided to post one more to see if someone might be able to help me. This image was taken in the Kansas City area. From the photogapher's stamp, I have found it was taken pre-1899.

Is this a hunter getting ready to go out or is it possibly military related? He has a rifle in a cloth sock of some sort and what looks like a bed roll on the porch behind him. I don't know what else he is holding.

Once again, anyone who might be able to add any info, you help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Doug

forinspection.jpg

Upvote 0
This guy was no doubt carrying over 3 knives, possibly a pistol, and other miscellaneous gear he could salvage before setting out to harvest whatever he could... gold, food, land, knowledge, or life itself. On his journey, he met death, which is the end of all the living stories.

Upvote 0
What is that blob by his left cheek( your right in the photo?) And why is he smirking.. He looks like he could be dipping, or drinking, which were common during the desperate adventure times, to keep a man sustained while he tried fortune itself. And then, the supposed "rocker box" is actually possibly potentially a sled, for snow covered meat carryings over huge tundras, or unknown riverbeds.

Upvote 0
Also, note the vines growing up the porch trellis. Note the vines are leafeless, indicating more and more that the "rocker" is a sled. Also, the porch wasted wood on a checkerboard design.. But why? This indicates gardening, culture and art. THis man is a wealthy man of his time. He is setting forth for a legend of his own. This all leads to your theory.

Upvote 0
FiresEye said:
Also, note the vines growing up the porch trellis. Note the vines are leafeless, indicating more and more that the "rocker" is a sled. Also, the porch wasted wood on a checkerboard design.. But why? This indicates gardening, culture and art. THis man is a wealthy man of his time. He is setting forth for a legend of his own. This all leads to your theory.

Meaning that it was already fall, or late fall, and this guy needed to get busy fast doing whatever he was doing. And of course, the knowledge of his operation was extense for the time.. COnsidering at the same time in some countries cannibalism and civil wars still occured. Perhaps the photo was even taken earlier than expected.

Upvote 0
turtlefoot13 said:

This is a lumber town too, like most expansions during that time in the United states. The slat of lumber on the house indicates he is not only living in the "city" but his house is built with cut wood. This guy is probably 31 years old, living in " not just a log cabin"... It looks like he is posing in front of the stables of a prominent family house.. perhaps?

Upvote 0
I ammend my previous statement, the side building behind him is most likely the WORKSHOP of the house( big by all means for that time) Notice the chimmney, a fine one from a high heat furnace perhaps. I imagine there are many women in the house, perhaps one peering at him through the slats of the next house... The way he is holding his good hand over his bad almost makes it look like he has one wooden hand.. Or perhaps a few, he's ready with plenty of gunpower but his greatest disatvantage will be moisture and cold.

Upvote 0
QUICKSILVER (appletree) said:
The bed roll isn't on the porch! it actually has a strap over his right shoulder! so it is hanging against his back at an angle.

I agree with that.....if that is his bed roll in his hands he is gonna get cold feet!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back