Another photo to get an opinion on (Is this military or not)?

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Again,

I have received some great information on my other image question and I have decided to post one more to see if someone might be able to help me. This image was taken in the Kansas City area. From the photogapher's stamp, I have found it was taken pre-1899.

Is this a hunter getting ready to go out or is it possibly military related? He has a rifle in a cloth sock of some sort and what looks like a bed roll on the porch behind him. I don't know what else he is holding.

Once again, anyone who might be able to add any info, you help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Doug

forinspection.jpg

looks like a cowboy ready to go on a hunting trip --rifle sack to keep grit and grime out of his rifle

Upvote 0
well a bed roll is part of it (the tube shaped item in his hands -- normally it was tucked behind cowboy but on top of rear area the saddle ) --see the belt buckle at the end -- its a rolled up blanket with a belt tied around one end to keep it together :wink: that on the porch is a knap sack ---draped over the railing looks like a horse blanket maybe

Upvote 0
QUICKSILVER (appletree) said:
The bed roll isn't on the porch! it actually has a strap over his right shoulder! so it is hanging against his back at an angle.

You're right! I haven't looked as closely at this image as I should have. The bottom item that man is carrying looks a lot like a tripod bag but I don't recognize the bag shape of the top item. The one thing that would not make a lot of sense if it is a tripod would be the size. Tripods of that size were made for the "pocket" cameras of the 19th century. Most photographers of that time would have taken a professional camera and a full size tripod with them and not a small one. Of course, he could be a cowboy or hunter who just like to take pics and wanted his camera with him. More than likely, it isn't a tripod, but that is what the bag reminds me of.

Here is a link to a similar tripod (but not exact) and a pic of the type of camera that I was talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-Vintage-C...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19be1018b7

kodak-3a-folding-pocket-camera.jpg

Thanks again everyone for all of the answers so far.

Doug

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Not sure what makes him a cowboy????

Looks like a ordinary working guy going on a hunting trip.

Bedroll, yup (huge!). Rifle, yup. He's holding a shotgun taken down and put in a store bought case with buckles and straps. There's another bit of luggage by his left foot. Leather version of a carpet bag. Waaaaaay too much stuff to go on a horse!

I would guess around 1890-ish.

Upvote 0
Above average working guy -- Note: Round Toe Boots (Right One Anyway) not typical pointed ones for cowboy putting foot into stirrup. More likely, surveying for railroad. stageline, something like that. He is wearing shirt, vest, and jacket, well dressed for worker of that period. The bag was the standard luggage for that period, stagecoach or train (general term was carpetbagger).

Upvote 0
Thanks again for all of the help so far. I am getting ready to fire off an email to the Kansas City Public Library. They have an extensive collection of early KC images. I am going to see if the historian/research librarian might recognize the part of town this image was taken in from their archives. If so, that might also shed more light.

Thank you once again for all of the input.

Doug

Upvote 0
This may sound stupid but is the thing to the right of him a homemade rocker box for gold prospecting? If so maybe he was headed to Alaska for the gold rush. It would fit the time frame. Just a guess but what ever it is it's an awesome picture.

Wolverine.

Upvote 0
Mich. Wolverine said:
This may sound stupid but is the thing to the right of him a homemade rocker box for gold prospecting? If so maybe he was headed to Alaska for the gold rush. It would fit the time frame. Just a guess but what ever it is it's an awesome picture.

Wolverine.

I have scanned this image in at a crazy high dpi and have played with it in Photoshop for about an hour now. I think you might be right. I will play with it a bit more and try to post a close-up of it tomorrow.

Doug

Upvote 0
I decided to just go a head and post what I have so others might be able to see if it is a rocker. Here is what I have so far.

rocker.jpg

Upvote 0
You should post the pictures on the gold prospecting forum to see what they think. They might be able to give you some info.

Wolverine.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back