Another First!

MCollett

Sep 26, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Equinox 800
We not out today with my brother and pounded our permission property for a few hours. I posted the two nickels the other day and today I hit a first for me!

Got a nice 22 signal on the Nox with the new 15in coil. Solid and steady showing over 10in down. Dug it and the signal got a little higher. And out popped this tiny silver beauty! A 1858 Seated Half Dime

20191027_133301.jpg20191027_180228.jpg

Beautiful condition for 161 years old.

Had many hits all morning and pulled a lot of bullets. My brother pulled this piece and I am trying to figure out what it is. Looks like it has some leather or something in the round section and a nice design on the front. It dried up and cracked a piece off. Any guesses are welcome or if you can identify?

20191027_163551.jpg20191027_175425.jpg

And as I was walking back to the car, I said to myself, "only time for one more nice signal dig". I got a solid 14 at about 8in down and out popped out another V Nickel! 1902 and some nice detail on the front but just the V on the back.

20191027_133532.jpg20191027_133615.jpg

This property is just amazing and still producing coins. My brother hit 4 wheaties.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Upvote 29
Oh and the V Nickel looks like someone tried to clip it. That was not me hitting it. You can see the starting of a cut on both sides.

Congratulations! Wow, Nice Finds!! Maybe part of a suspender or sling, hard to tell without a size reference:occasion14:

That half dime is in awesome shape! Congrats on that find.

Thanks everyone. The half dime is so small. It fits on my finger tip. It was my first time finding one and I was amazed that they used something that small back then. Easy to misplace!

Congratulations on finding that Liberty Seated Half Dime! :thumbsup:
Did you actually have to dig 10 inches down to recover it?

I agree with mddavis3 that the half-dime is in really good shape. Looks like it was only in circulation for a short time. CONGRATS!

Congratulations on finding that Liberty Seated Half Dime! :thumbsup:
Did you actually have to dig 10 inches down to recover it?

I have a 12in long shovel head I dig with. Long and thin. I pulled a nice round plug and it was at the bottom at about the 10in level. It rang a 22 on the Nox 800 at first. It never went any lower or higher until I pulled the plug and checked it. It went up to a 23-24. It surprised me because it was so small and shiny!

I agree with mddavis3 that the half-dime is in really good shape. Looks like it was only in circulation for a short time. CONGRATS!

That’s what I love about this permission. All of our silvers have come out looking almost uncirculated. It is amazing to say the least. I have a beautiful 1854 O Seated Dime (with arrows) I pulled out just down the hill from this one that looks like it just came out of the mint. The soil is nice to these coins!

Nice looking silver!

that's a beautiful 1858 half dime . look for the inverted date as your pic is not clear enough to see it...

Now we're metal detecting. Congratulations :icon_thumright:

Beautiful half dime! :occasion14:

That half dime looks like it was lost brand new! Amazing. It will be tough to find one better than that in the ground!!!!

Outstanding half dime!

Beautiful condition!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back