harmonyyybee

Oct 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on the beach in Puerto Rico. The black lines have been carved out and the glaze seems to have been tempered with sand perhaps as it has some sparkles in parts of it. Fairly thick and appears to be hand made (no wheel throwing lines). If i could get an aprox date of origin or place of origin that would lead me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I have been hunting all over the internet and have had very little to no luck and I am exhausted. Thanks !

DSC_0262.JPGDSC_0263.JPGDSC_0264.JPGDSC_0265.JPGDSC_0266.JPGDSC_0268.JPG

Heres one for size reference (after it has been wrapped)
DSC_0203.JPG

Last edited:
glazed might be preemptive, from what I read a more accurate description would be painted.

Upvote 0
glazed might be preemptive, from what I read a more accurate description would be painted.

Looks like what we would called Painted Table Ware. Its middle status Roman. Although that type of pottery is made here in the Nene Valley & that has a different clay base, the turned over rim is consistant with the Roman Period. It will be wheel spun but the finest of the clay & the skill of the potters meant you don't always see the thrown up lines.
So in conclusion, I'm saying Roman Period, but...

The photo's are not great & the location makes no sense. One an expert needs in the hand, pottery takes years of study & is extremely tricky to master.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not only the location bothers me but the lack of 'wear'. The white areas you talk of are not 'carved' off but are the high points that have worn. Either this is a piece of Roman pot re-lost in the last 50 years or maybe someone making pottery in the Roman Style. If it were on the beach for much longer than that the paint would have nearly completely worn off.

Upvote 0
Not only the location bothers me but the lack of 'wear'. The white areas you talk of are not 'carved' off but are the high points that have worn. Either this is a piece of Roman pot re-lost in the last 50 years or maybe someone making pottery in the Roman Style. If it were on the beach for much longer than that the paint would have nearly completely worn off.

Thanks so much for the input! I appreciate it!

Upvote 0
If it is indeed roman, yet found in Puerto Rico, it may have come over as a fragment in ships' ballast from Europe. Roman coins have been found in Massachusetts, and the prevailing theory is that they were in ballast that was dumped or lost when the vessel was wrecked. I find small, worn chunks of flint on the beach here, where we do not find natural flint, which likely are from dumped ballast.

Upvote 0
If it is indeed roman, yet found in Puerto Rico, it may have come over as a fragment in ships' ballast from Europe. Roman coins have been found in Massachusetts, and the prevailing theory is that they were in ballast that was dumped or lost when the vessel was wrecked. I find small, worn chunks of flint on the beach here, where we do not find natural flint, which likely are from dumped ballast.

Good theory, I know many items used as ballast, I used to find Victorian Bottles in the same way.

Upvote 0
Welcome to Treasure Net.

If I may I'd like to offer some constructive criticism without being offensive.

By pre-naming or pre-classifying an item, then posting it requesting an Identification, defeats the purpose.

Doing so establishes a mind-set and a basis for arguments of the poster with those commenting...

In reality, the item may be of recent origin which will be brought to light by well informed respondents.

It could well be a students first attempt for a Mothers Day present...like a hand-print in a lump of clay...or actually an antiquity depending on geographic relationships.

My take on it is that it appears to be similar to locally manufactured tourista marketed ware...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back