Anchor with Shield - Any ideas?

AZTreas

Feb 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this neat little button today and I've had no luck in finding any like it surfing the web. I'd love to know its history if anybody can help. Thank you. 20180211_220026.jpg20180211_220051.jpg

Thank you for providing a well-focused photo of your button's back, which is often crucial for correctly identifying a button. The reason you can't find a button which matches up with yours is, yours is not an actual Navy button. It is what button collectors call a civilian-usage "Fashion" button, used on coats and jackets to make them appear to be more expensive / higher quality than they really are. The proof of your button's ID as a "Fashion" button is the presence of what button collectors call a "pierced-dome self-shank" iron/steel back. No actual Navy buttons (from any country) have that type of back... because the holes through the dome (for thread) are sharp-edged which eventually cuts the thread, and the iron/steel back eventually rusts, which makes a rust stain on the uniform.

Under super-magnification, note that entire front of the button shows a "fabric" pattern. That's common on Fashion buttons, and never seen on actual Military (or Government-issue) buttons.

Specifically, your button is called a "Nautical Motif" Fashion button. It MIGHT be a low-quality imitation of some country's actual Navy button emblem.

Here's a closeup photo showing a pierced-dome self-shank back. The term "self-shank back" means the back itself forms the shank/loop for the attachment thread, instead of having a separately made and applied loop for the thread.

Attachments

• button_self-shank_USOfficer1832-1902_false3piece_backview_TN_photobyMcogan-LIMongoMike_IMG_3675.jpg
    button_self-shank_USOfficer1832-1902_false3piece_backview_TN_photobyMcogan-LIMongoMike_IMG_3675.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I looked at this earlier...WOW TC(b)G!!!! Tell me if I spelled that wrong..lol You never cease to amaze me.

Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy is truly a wealth of knowledge!

Wow, that was a quick and very comprehensive reply. I appreciate the details you provided as it will surely help me with future discoveries. I have found other truly military buttons in the same area and had a feeling this one wasn't. Thanks Again and Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0
Thank you for providing a well-focused photo of your button's back, which is often crucial for correctly identifying a button. The reason you can't find a button which matches up with yours is, yours is not an actual Navy button. It is what button collectors call a civilian-usage "Fashion" button, used on coats and jackets to make them appear to be more expensive / higher quality than they really are. The proof of your button's ID as a "Fashion" button is the presence of what button collectors call a "pierced-dome self-shank" iron/steel back. No actual Navy buttons (from any country) have that type of back... because the holes through the dome (for thread) are sharp-edged which eventually cuts the thread, and the iron/steel back eventually rusts, which makes a rust stain on the uniform.

Under super-magnification, note that entire front of the button shows a "fabric" pattern. That's common on Fashion buttons, and never seen on actual Military (or Government-issue) buttons.

Specifically, your button is called a "Nautical Motif" Fashion button. It MIGHT be a low-quality imitation of some country's actual Navy button emblem.

Here's a closeup photo showing a pierced-dome self-shank back. The term "self-shank back" means the back itself forms the shank/loop for the attachment thread, instead of having a separately made and applied loop for the thread.

Wow!! Amazing response. Impressive. This is why is joined. Lots to learn.

Upvote 0
Very nice find and dang freaking CBall Guy that is an awesome response!:notworthy:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back