An Egg shaped stone....

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, we was out on a dig today in Hertfordshire england. We had some great Finds inc. Elizabeth 1st coins and some silver Roman coins.
One of the finds has us stumped, it's a egg shaped stone with an engraving on it , it's very cool but we're at a loss to what it may have been used for or what era it comes from.

As always any info is greatly appreciated. IMG-20181227-WA0039.jpegIMG-20181227-WA0040.jpeg

Last edited:
crusader will know You guys find some of the coolest stuff I have ever seen My town was founded in 1817 I was hoping to find a roman coin under the Christmas tree Im still looking for it Great finds Thanks for sharing it I love that kinda stuff Happy new year to you. Tommy

Upvote 0
crusader will know You guys find some of the coolest stuff I have ever seen My town was founded in 1817 I was hoping to find a roman coin under the Christmas tree Im still looking for it Great finds Thanks for sharing it I love that kinda stuff Happy new year to you. Tommy
Cheers Tommy, yeah we're lucky to live in a place with 1000's of years of history. Here's some of the coins I found today.....20181227_182747.jpeg20181227_182602.jpeg20181227_182438.jpeg20181227_182419.jpeg20181227_182156.jpeg20181227_182139.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is an interesting rock design, I do not recall seeing anything like it before, have you run it past a Museum Curator? The coins are lovely!............63bkpkr

Upvote 0
That is an interesting rock design, I do not recall seeing anything like it before, have you run it past a Museum Curator? The coins are lovely!............63bkpkr
Thanks. A museam is defiantly an option, we only found it today so thought we'd post it here first.

Upvote 0
does the object sound solid? does it appear to made of a stone, or clay or what do you think it is made of?

what are the rough dimensions?

What was the context of the find? How deep was it if this object was dug? Was it found in a creek? Was it in a plowed field? What else has been found there?

Those are some very nice coins. What are the ages of the coins?

Upvote 0
Congrats steve, nice find!

Perhaps a fertility icon of some sort. Go see the druid honcho and give him a few silvers. He gives you this thing and says "Put this under your pillow and get busy with your old man, all will be well!". Probably worked most of the time?

Best wishes and good luck!

P.S. Hey Tommy, I'd be happy with a Walking Liberty! LOL

Upvote 0
Wow Im in the process of starting a museum and Im accepting donations lol Amazing

Upvote 0
OK Tommy, Take this and put it under your pillow! LOL

Best wishes and Happy New Year!

Upvote 0
Congrats steve, nice find!

Perhaps a fertility icon of some sort. Go see the druid honcho and give him a few silvers. He gives you this thing and says "Put this under your pillow and get busy with your old man, all will be well!". Probably worked most of the time?

Best wishes and good luck!

P.S. Hey Tommy, I'd be happy with a Walking Liberty! LOL
Nice guess, you maybe on to something. Cheers.

Upvote 0
does the object sound solid? does it appear to made of a stone, or clay or what do you think it is made of?

what are the rough dimensions?

What was the context of the find? How deep was it if this object was dug? Was it found in a creek? Was it in a plowed field? What else has been found there?

Those are some very nice coins. What are the ages of the coins?
It's just a stone, about the size of a large egg. Found on ploughed field, the site shows habitation from Roman thru to Tudor times thru to 1800's.
It's been an awesome field tbh.

I'm liking the fertility stone guess so far.

Upvote 0
Hi Steve, :hello:

The marks on your stone look to be naturally occurring to me.
You might want to also post your find here
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/geofact/

The Geofact Forum - This forum is dedicated to the geological works of nature... a rock, bone, shell, or the like that has been modified by natural processes that then appears to look like an artifact.

Here's a rock I found a few years ago in a field I was detecting northeast of Toronto.
I can still remember, it was glowing bright yellow in the morning sun partially buried in the dirt. :thumbsup:
I love the fact that it shows evidence of plow strikes over the years.
I hand-polished the surface and now have it displayed in our office... much to the amusement of my wife.

Hope you get an answer from the 'Rock Guys'. :laughing7:
Dave

Attachments

• WP_20161002_15_31_03_Rich (2).jpg
    WP_20161002_15_31_03_Rich (2).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0
Hi Steve, :hello:

The marks on your stone look to be naturally occurring to me.
You might want to also post your find here
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/geofact/

The Geofact Forum - This forum is dedicated to the geological works of nature... a rock, bone, shell, or the like that has been modified by natural processes that then appears to look like an artifact.

Here's a rock I found a few years ago in a field I was detecting northeast of Toronto.
I can still remember, it was glowing bright yellow in the morning sun partially buried in the dirt. [emoji106]
I love the fact that it shows evidence of plow strikes over the years.
I hand-polished the surface and now have it displayed in our office... much to the amusement of my wife.

Hope you get an answer from the 'Rock Guys'. :laughing7:
Dave
Looks super cool Dave, I'll perhaps try the other forum.
Cheers

Upvote 0
"Back in the day" we used to put "stones" similar to yours under our laying hens to get them to lay regularly. So maybe it is a sort of "fertility stone." : ) I've also seen something similar for darning socks...

Upvote 0
Since the marks are random, I wonder if they were created by some critter, bug, beetle etc, that was simply feeding on the surface for nutrients.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back