American Indian made double knit saddle blanket/rug??????

OhioFinds

Oct 15, 2012
lorain, Ohio
Detector(s) used
My eye's, hand's, and occasional shovel!! Basically, just my sixth sense!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I have recently come across what has been described to me as an American Indian made double knit saddle blanket or rug. I am hoping to get as much information on this piece as possible. I have a couple photo's, unfortunately they are of poor quality. I will be adding the dimension's asap. If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it!! IMG_20121014_220546.jpgIMG_20121014_220546.jpgIMG_20121014_220549.jpg

Not many American Indian tribes are known for weaving rugs (saddle blankets)...

The Navajo and Zuni tribes are the better known as weavers.

If this is truly a Navajo rug (saddle blankets), it can be very valuable.

Visual appearance is not always the best method to determine authenticity...

What is suspect with this blanket is the fringe...which is not atypical for period blankets.

Unfortunately many copies are being made in the orient, including China, middle east (Iraq, Iran), south American and of course, Mexico.

Its important to get it authenicated...this type of rug (saddle blankets)...have been made in Mexico for many years...and imported into the U.S.

I have several rug / saddle blankets that I purchased in Mexico which are at least 35 years old...

The Navajo, for instance, use wool from Churro sheep...therefore if the wool is from a breed (200+ named breeds) not associated with the Navajo, the rug (saddle blankets) may be suspect. There are also sheep breeds that produce a course wool that is commonly referred to as 'Rug Wool'.

Testing the wool fibers is primary to the authenication process.

The Navajo-Churros wool possess a dual (layer) coat, which has an inner and an outer layer. The fleece is composed of an inner coat (80% of fleece), and outer coat that is hair fibers (10-20% of fleece) and kemp (a coarse, opaque fiber, less than 5% of fleece).

Just because its labeled as being 'American Indian' made does not mean its attributed to the U.S. by a known tribe or weaver.

Pardon the pun, but be very cautious about being fleeced by a copy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Might get authenicated...this type of rug / saddle blanket are being made in Mexico for many years...

I have several that are at least 35 years old...

The Navajo use wool from Churro sheep...therefore if the wool is from Merino or other breed not associated with the Navajo, the rug / saddle blanket may be suspect,

Thank you Stefen!! I only have one other question, how and where would I go to get this piece authenticated, if you have any suggestion's? :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Thank you again Stefen! I will try to get the wool tested, as soon as I can find someone who does that sort of thing. The rug/blanket is not actually labled American Indian made, it has no visible label's at all whatsoever. This piece was found in an old house in High Point, NC. No matter what it is, I think it was a nice find, seeing how it was given to me for free!! Hopefully, I will know more soon, and I'll be sure to share the new's!

Upvote 0
The fringe tends to be towards a recent date...

A museum may be a source...or they may be able to direct you to a source.

A testing lab can provide an ID to the wool type (and possibly age date)...

Might look for a professional located in Alberquerque or Santa Fe New Mexico...(my choice)

Not sure if there are any qualified professionals in Ohio...

Upvote 0
Stefen! You have been more than helpful, I am so appreciative. First I shall look to a couple museum's, if I cannot find info through them, then I shall research expert's in the area's you listed. Thank you once again! From time to time, I also recieve some Indian artifact's from my father, who live's in Purvis, Mississippi. The nicest piece's I had, unfortunately were stolen, but alway's trying to find more! Hopefully I can locate what I have left and post them!

Upvote 0
:headbang: Go Buckeye's!!! Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Upvote 0
Well, I should know by the end of the day what type of sheep the wool of my saddle blanket/rug is from. Luckily for me, my nephew has a forensic's class at his high school. Right at this very moment his teacher is examining a fiber from my piece. If it's not authentic, I'll still be happy, but hopefully I have something here!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back