Am I a coin??

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Serious case of cabin fever setting in here, guys and gals, and I'm starting to see things. I found this whatsit in my front yard two months ago shortly after receiving my Ace250. I don't know why, but I tossed it in my keeper pile.

I was going through my treasures and discovered it again. Apparently the light was just right, and I noticed what could be some man-made detail on it (series of regular lines, and along the right side, what appears like the stamped edge of a coin). I should say that when first dug, I thought it looked like a knockout from an electrical box...the problem is, I've done plenty of electrical work and I've never seen a knockout made of copper.

Here's what I know. My home was built in 1948. Oldest previous coins I've found in the yard are 1950-ish (no silver yet). My town was settled in the 1840's. My home is built in an area that was an old river bed, so much of the topsoil was trucked in when the homes were built.

The object is approx. 23.2mm diameter (as far as I can tell due to the fold), and appears to be copper.

Thanks for looking, and thanks in advance for your ideas.

MP

Attachments

• front yard copper whatsit.jpg
    front yard copper whatsit.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 622
Looks like it has some rolled edging and surface design... crypto is right, might be a button, a lid ??? ??? or coin ???

I look forward to seeing if anyone can help!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the inputs! If a flat button, the post is long gone. I've been resisting the urge to unfold this thing and see if the hidden surfaces show any more detail.

MP

Upvote 0
kenb said:
It looks like the back of a really mashed up penny. Those "lines" being the pillars on the Lincoln memorial.

kenb

Thats a good eye, I didn't even think about that because the other side looks so thin, but it could have been laid on some RR tracks or hammered to get that size. After holding a penny up to the pic, it certainly does look like the memorial pillars.

Upvote 0
You guys could be right. I just measured a Wheat cent, and it came in at 19mm x 1.39mm thick. The Whatsit is 23mm x 1.14mm. I guess this could be a memorial smashed flat. With the light just right, I can also see two letters along the rim, just to the right of the lines. Looks like "NN", but could be the "NI" in UNITED STATES.

Darn.

MP

Upvote 0
Hmmm, I don't think those are lines. I think they are letters. Maybe part of E PLURIBUS UNUM, but through great pressure the letters have been flattened and elongated. Just a guess, but look carefully at the lines and maybe you'll see them as letters instead, too.

Upvote 0
Unroll it and if you are not satisfied, you can either roll it back up, toss it on a pile or throw it away.

Upvote 0
Skrimpy said:
Well, if it aint ID-able, then it isn't worth squat. Unfold that sucker and see!
Yeah! Git 'er done! ;D Looks like a memorial cent to me also.Whatever it is,it won't hurt to pry her open and have a look see. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back