All Holes are tappered,saw one in a post dont recall where.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 524
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 526
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 539
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 537
Upvote 0
Re: All Holes are tappered,saw one in a post don't recall where.

lostcauses said:
show me a horn weight with a dime beside it for comparison to the original.
The pics are not mine so I cant do that. Maybe crazyslasher could post a pic of his. I maybe could photoshop a scaled version with a dime next to the quarter but do you think its really necessary?

It looks as if the dime is equal to the size of the hole.

Upvote 0

I agree its similar to a Delta faucet ball or a ball shut off valve (my first guess)but I think this one is solved. Ill try to photoshop it later. Thats what is great about TN. You cant get away with anything. There is at least a 100 very knowlegable members looking and scrutinizing every possible ID. :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• delta faucet ball.jpg
    delta faucet ball.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0

Looks like 32c for a dozen and $9.99 for shipping and handling would be a good investment. But the one in question seems to have several "random" holes rather than just one as catalogued. In fact, with the two "in line", I wonder if it would split the horn if two screws were placed there.

What kind of sauce to you offer for Ox Ball Pie, and I am NOT talking Rocky Mountain Oysters. I will be feasting tonight on my words and wrong thinking opinions. Or, just order me one of those leaders to pull me over to your way of thinking.

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger said:
Looks like 32c for a dozen and $9.99 for shipping and handling would be a good investment. But the one in question seems to have several "random" holes rather than just one as catalogued. In fact, with the two "in line", I wonder if it would split the horn if two screws were placed there.
:icon_scratch: I really cannot understand what you and lostcauses are looking at but the pictures are identical IMO, including the holes, and I dont think you could find a better match. There is a large tapered hole right down the center for the horn and the other hole is perpendicular and much smaller. The price catalog is at least 50-75 years old.

Here is a size comparison to the dime as requested. Its the best I can do. ;D

ox nuts dime.jpg ox ball w dime resized.jpg

Wordtalker, what do you think about all this fuss? ;D Am I missing something?

Upvote 0

bigcypresshunter
I asked such due to I have never seen one so small. If the owner is happy with this..

Yet I do try and see other possibility.

Upvote 0

Hey--I was sucking up my words with a retraction and observaton that 32 cents/doz was an unbelieveable price, as far as ox balls goes. The $9.99 shipping and handling was a jest to today's outrageous shipping charges, especially by the products that are advertized on TV with free seconds, just pay shipping.

A sister of a friend has 2200 acres with the Oregon Trail running through it. I am planning on finding some ox balls for myself.

I have learned from my experience with ox balls and am now a believer.

Upvote 0

lostcauses said:
bigcypresshunter
I asked such due to I have never seen one so small. If the owner is happy with this..

Yet I do try and see other possibility.
Its cool. 8) I didnt know how small they were either but the pictures prove that they are made even smaller. The entire nut can fit inside a quarter. I have trouble judging size myself with these pictures.

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger said:
Hey--I was sucking up my words with a retraction and observaton that 32 cents/doz was an unbelieveable price, as far as ox balls goes. The $9.99 shipping and handling was a jest to today's outrageous shipping charges, especially by the products that are advertized on TV with free seconds, just pay shipping.

A sister of a friend has 2200 acres with the Oregon Trail running through it. I am planning on finding some ox balls for myself.

I have learned from my experience with ox balls and am now a believer.
You can disagree with the ID anytime, I just didnt understand what you were saying about random holes. :dontknow: They look the same to me. Yes the old catalogs will show what appears to be unbelievable prices when compared with todays.

Upvote 0

Can you check that catalogue for the price of a basic buckboard wagon? I hear they are about $32. I would order 2.

No wonder the Montgomery Wards catalogue was my mom's favorite book, except for when the preacher visited and we were taught to bring her "real" favorite book out, the Bible. Sometimes we got mixed up on which was the favorite at the time. Willow time followed the preacher's leaving.

Upvote 0

bigcypresshunter,I agree with you,still don't understand why the two small holes are tapered.Boy ,only wanted to know what this dang thing is not start another Revolution lol HH yall

Upvote 0

Here's one I found. Was found in an old farm field.

Attachments

• IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1339.JPG
    IMG_1339.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1341.JPG
    IMG_1341.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 194
Upvote 0

worldtalker said:
bigcypresshunter,I agree with you,still don't understand why the two small holes are tapered.Boy ,only wanted to know what this dang thing is not start another Revolution lol HH yall
I dont even know the purpose of the small side hole. I would imagine for a screw or pin. I dont know why its also tapered unless its for a tight fit with a drift pin. :dontknow: But I believe ox ball or ox nut is absolutely the correct ID. :argue:

Upvote 0

This new one certainly looks like a different species. No pass through hole for the tip, and a "through and through" hole for the screw. I would think that just one screw hole would be enough, a through and through would be like a cannon killing a fly, but then, there appears to be so many lost..... My head hurts. Isn't there anyone out there that detects but also raises oxen?

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger said:
This new one certainly looks like a different species. No pass through hole for the tip, and a "through and through" hole for the screw. I would think that just one screw hole would be enough, a through and through would be like a cannon killing a fly, but then, there appears to be so many lost..... My head hurts. Isn't there anyone out there that detects but also raises oxen?
I think all the side holes go through. The only difference is the horn hole doesnt go through. I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Some have threads some dont. In some the horn hole goes through and some dont. Some are hex and some are rounded but they are all the same basic function.....made for horns. They have been found by many members and posted here many times over the years.

The green check has been posted meaning its solved. As wordtalker stated, the only mystery/question is why the small holes are tapered.

Upvote 0

Ok, I will put the D-9 away after I fill in the hole that I made the mountain out of.

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger said:
Ok, I will put the D-9 away after I fill in the hole that I made the mountain out of.
;D All Im saying is that there are plenty of mysteries here in the "What Is It" section but this isnt one of them. :nono: :D

Upvote 0

Thanks all for your input GOD BLESS,Chris

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back