Age? What is it? Old belt/hoop looking thing..

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this a while back, im not sure what it is.. the nails in it, im pretty sure are medieval... there round heads... but man made, the round head, well, isnt round... its odd shaped, leaving me to believe its hand made... also looks exactly like a medieval one that came off the Mary Rose... And the fact its holding together a belt is odd... The thing looks silver, but i havent tested it yet

IMG_0735.JPGIMG_0736.JPGIMG_0737.JPGIMG_0738.JPG

Looks similar to the very small nails that are in this piece of lead flashing that I dug a while back. The nails are about a quarter of an inch long and bent over at the points just like yours. I think they may be bronze or copper. Not sure what this flashing was used on but the nails and the bending of the tips reminded me of yours. My dug flashing though is not medieval but there may be a relation in age based on the small nails usage and time period. I figure mine to be from 1850-1880. time frame if that helps. Not sure where you found yours though.
tehbh.JPGthb.JPGDSC00083.JPGDSC00084.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could be banding for about any wooden crate, or to bundle lumber, I find random pieces of banding all the time.

Upvote 0
Many old boxes I've seen are strapped similar to yours I think when the box contained something heavy i.e. Nails horseshoes hoards of coins and gold

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back