Jan 14, 2023

Attachments

• IMG_6448.jpeg
    IMG_6448.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6619.jpeg
    IMG_6619.jpeg
    907.1 KB · Views: 8
This is the super rust layered buckle I found in park woods where I’m still scouting for the homesite. I chiseled and soaked it for over a week in vinegar and wiped it down . Wanted to see an age range and that would tell me about how old that home area should be. It wasn’t on the 1914 overlay.
Harness buckles didn’t evolve much, for a lot of years. I guess if it works, why mess with it?
I’d say anywhere from 1860s to 1910.
Sorry for such a wide age span. Ticndig may gave a better answer. He’s helped me a lot.
Remember site dating can get weird.
My maternal g’pa farmed with horses into the early 1950s. His harnesses were much older. If you found his buckles, they may have been made in 1890 but not discarded until 1954.
How would we read the age of such a site? Keep searching. You are doing it the right way; questions lead to discoveries.👍🏼

Harness buckles didn’t evolve much, for a lot of years. I guess if it works, why mess with it?
Sorry for such a wide age span. Ticndig may gave a better answer. He’s helped me a lot.
My maternal g’pa farmed with horses into the early 1950s. His harnesses were much older. If you found his buckles, they may have been made in 1890 but not discarded until 1954.
How would we read the age of such a site? Keep searching. You are doing it the right way; questions lead to discoveries.👍🏼
Thanks for the detailed reply , when those flood waters dry up from Helene I’m going to keep hitting at it

I have a permission (yet to hunt)
But it had 250 horses in a barn.
Biggest barn in the country at one time.
They collected the urine from the mares, and sold it to Revlon.
The property owner said the harnesses are always been dragged up with the equipment.
I might explore it one day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back