A thin coin?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this "coin" recently but it is the most corroded thing I've pulled out of the ground. Pretty sure it is a coin, but maybe not U.S. It is the same diameter as a U.S. nickel but only about half as thick. I scraped away some of the edge to see it is copper and REEDED! I could show you the other side too but there is no detail there either. It may be a token.... unsure. Any ideas, anyone? TTC

Attachments

• MVC-018S.JPG
    MVC-018S.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 388
Are you sure that the edge is reeded and not stamped with writing?

If it rings up as "copper," I'd recommend the peroxide method of cleaning in order to get an ID for the coin...

-Buck

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:

If it rings up as "copper," I'd recommend the peroxide method of cleaning in order to get an ID for the coin...

-Buck

i agree, in the condition the coin is in now, it is almost impossible to say. try the peroxide method of cleaning.

Upvote 0
hollowpointred said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buck

i agree, in the condition the coin is in now, it is almost impossible to say. try the peroxide method of cleaning.

IF it is copper.

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:

-Buck
The reason I don't think writing on the edge, because that is a reletively new method of striking a coin... Right? This coin would be too old for that "newer" type of striking. TTC

Upvote 0
TerryC said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buck
The reason I don't think writing on the edge, because that is a reletively new method of striking a coin... Right? This coin would be too old for that "newer" type of striking.  TTC

Not if it is an Early Half Cent.  Liberty Cap HC's were marked around the edge!

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
TerryC said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buck
The reason I don't think writing on the edge, because that is a reletively new method of striking a coin... Right? This coin would be too old for that "newer" type of striking. TTC

Not if it is an Early Half Cent. They were marked around the edge!
WOW! That being said, half cents were smaller... like a dime.... not 22mm like a quarter...? TTC

Upvote 0
TerryC said:
BuckleBoy said:
TerryC said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buck
The reason I don't think writing on the edge, because that is a reletively new method of striking a coin... Right? This coin would be too old for that "newer" type of striking.  TTC

Not if it is an Early Half Cent.  They were marked around the edge!
WOW!  That being said, half cents were smaller... like a dime.... not 22mm like a quarter...?   TTC

In your first post you said the coin was Nickel-sized.  What size is it??  Half Cents were 22mm in diameter.

Is it even Copper? Wave it under your Ace 250 and tell us whether it locks in, and if so--what it locks in at.

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
TerryC said:
BuckleBoy said:
TerryC said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buck

Not if it is an Early Half Cent. They were marked around the edge!
WOW! That being said, half cents were smaller... like a dime.... not 22mm like a nickel...? TTC

In your first post you said the coin was Nickel-sized. What size is it?? Half Cents were 22mm in diameter.

Is it even Copper? Wave it under your Ace 250 and tell us whether it locks in, and if so--what it locks in at.
Buck,
It's COLD out there!!!! The machines are out in the truck. I looked in the Red Book and my head is spinning.... lettered edge, thin planchet, I might have a half cent! WOW, Buck. Thanks for the info.... now, where did I put the peroxide?? TTC

Upvote 0
I wrote quarter... meant nickel. TTC

Upvote 0
All early half cents are larger than a nickel, so if it is the exact size of a nickel, then I say no way. Other than that, everything as to what it could be is nothing but a guess, I hope something shows after cleaning. :)

Don

Upvote 0
More pics... seems slightly thinner than a nickel....

Attachments

• MVC-019S.JPG
    MVC-019S.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 343
  • MVC-020S.JPG
    MVC-020S.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 313
Upvote 0
Slightly smaller in diameter than a nickel too it seems. 

I don't think it is a HC--so it is probably not a US coin.  If it reads copper on your machine, use the peroxide method.  Look for the title "Cleaning Large Cents" (Don in SJ's post in the Cleaning and Preservation section of Tnet) and you'll see everything you need to know about peroxide.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
I measured my 1793 against a modern nickel and the 1793 is thicker than a nickel and half mm wider.

My 1794 Lettered edge is as thick and maybe a tad thicker than a nickel and is a full 2mm wider than a nickel.

My later year Liberty caps 1795 and on are a bit thinner, about .4mm, but over 2.5 mm wider than a nickel.

With the data with supplied, I don't think it is a half cent unless altered in a funky way. Hope you get detail upon cleaning so as to open up other possibilites.

Don

Upvote 0
Thanks Don,
I will look for your post on cleaning and see what I can do. I'll get to the bottom of this. Thanks Buck. TTC

Upvote 0
I found a half cent on a Battlefield in Va.Which would date between 1840-1857.I can barely make out the outline of a head on front and I can barely read half cent on the back.It is slightly larger than a nickle and it is thinner than a nickle.Sorry for the blur pics.

fortbball9

Attachments

• Picture 601.jpg
    Picture 601.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 241
  • Picture 602.jpg
    Picture 602.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 243
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions