Things.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 986
  • Things, sideview.JPG
    Things, sideview.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 985
Edward said:
spoiled eggs ;D

LOL :P

The South had the capacity to reproduce enough insulators to cover normal wear and tear. It didn’t have the ability to mass-produce the number needed after the war started due to deliberate damage inflicted by opposing troops.

Upvote 0
You put stove black all around the small end and tell your friends to look in here. Leaves a big black circle around their eyes. Well, that's what I would do with them. Gosh, you already said they weren't insulators so hmmmmm, what could they be? You got me! Monty

Upvote 0
It's a bit triki for me to see
any scale against the 'things'.
The coin isn't very visible
and anyway, I don't know what it is.
So, I'll guess my best
and hope for success.

;D

vent for a pie crust
butt for a rod,
for fishing or snooker

Just give me the nod
if I'm on the right track

yet don't cut me no slack

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
My guess: Fairleads = smooth places for a line to go through a ship's timber.

Would have said tubes used for "knob and tube" electrical wiring, but we are told they aren't insulators.

Chip V.

Upvote 0
Hey GreenGoose where are you ??? you have been very quiet :o Are we any closer yet?

God bless
Peter

Upvote 0
GreenGoose...

What's up? What are these things?

I like Monties reply best - the black ring around the eye joke thing.

I've been looking at these for a while... I have no idea.

Upvote 0
well for one thing early insulators weren't threaded,so these things could qualify as line insulators.They do seems to be bottle tops as the part that would be where the cut would have been made is not glazed.I would like to see a close up of each item!

Upvote 0
A "shell" game. Which one is the quarter under? Seems a long way to go for something that a plastic cup would've worked on, but that's my guess. I assume you're posting the answer on Thursday the 12th, not Wednesday the 12th...?

Upvote 0
pgill.. Had to travel the past few days.. Sold my Dads house.

SWR.. Two things are porcelain and the one appears made of pottery (red clay?)

All .. today is Tuesday in U.S. and is now Wednesday morning in G.B, so will give the answer in 15 hours.

Clue.. More than likely found in the American Southwest.

Good luck.

and if you don't like the answer, don't get mad..meeting.jpg

Upvote 0
Well...my guess, because the things are tapered in such a way as to keep something from sliding off, like wire, and you say there is a clue in the pic, maybe the fence they sit on....american sowthwest????

Anyhow...I'm guessing some type of fence post cap that would hold barbed wire or such.
Al

Upvote 0
The Clues… In the picture background was a lake.. Lots of water..
The American Southwest.. Hot and dry.

Answer.. Tops for WATER BAGS used keep drinking water cool.

These may have been used in 1908 to 1915 when motor cars were starting to be used by miners in Arizona and Southern California.
I dug these up in an area that had Gold mining during those years. At first, I too wasn’t sure what they were until I found one that still had the canvas bag shreds attached.
The bag stopper was a large cork. To me, these could have been made anytime from the 1850's. When the canvas is damp, the evaporation in dry air kept the water inside cool.

Who made them.. Good question. I have yet to find a source other than the newer “Desert Bags” made by Ames Harris Neville Co.. Sample below. These use a metal closure.

I think "deepskyal" had the best guess for his statement “because the things are tapered in such a way as to keep something from sliding off” was close.

Funniest guess from trikiwi. “paint pots for War paint”

The coin was an U.S. Quarter. (wasn’t very clear)

Now, do you have a mystery item stored away?

Attachments

• waterbag.jpg
    waterbag.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 377
  • Waterbag top.jpg
    Waterbag top.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 372
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back