A return to a great site

Glen's Loyalists

Jan 7, 2024
Yesterday I thought I would take the dog and hit an interesting site other than my old farm that is not far away.
Sometimes it's just nice to go to a different fishing hole, know what I mean?

This is a really hard site to detect. It is very rocky, granite boulder size rocky, and there is about 6" or more of loose but root clogged peat over the ground. Some years back loggers went thru with essentially a bulldozer and upended everything and left dried limbs and branches haphazard everywhere, in some places feet deep.

In the middle of that is the foundation of a house that burned to the ground in the 19th century with all contents inside. I truly hope the people got out, it was a bad fire.

I only found a few good items yesterday, so I will also use this time to show the best of what has come from this site:

IMG_3656.jpg

Here are the two best items from yesterday, I also found a number of spikes, buckles and various iron items not shown.
The suspender buckle, which still works after 150 years in the ground, is marked Paris and Soldie, it would be 1860's to early 1870's. The convex button is an artillery button, with the three cannons in a shield. This would date to the War of 1812 era and is the only one of this type that we have found. We have found later, 2 piece ones at other sites so despite its condition I am well pleased with this.

IMG_3659.jpg
IMG_3660.jpg

My son is a collector of military items, so this badge from the 74th is his favorite. He thinks is is most likely from an ammo pouch or something similar.
At the top there should be a crown, we will find that at some point, and the back are traces of the lead backing. The rest would have melted out in the fire.
This again is War of 1812 era.

IMG_3657.jpg
IMG_3658.jpg

What is interesting is that we found a small tin box, 85% disintegrated, that we think was a keepsake box. It was close to where the mantle of the fireplace would have been. The badge above was in that box, along with this:

IMG_3666.jpg

We are certain that this is a tin type photograph, how I wish the image was still there. I think the thin bits of silver also found were part of the folding box frame that these photos are often in. The horseshoe bit in the upper right is double sided, so that may be from something else.

Also in the box were these two thimbles. The smaller thimble on the left is bronze and of very high quality, the metal is really good, especially when considering that these went thru a fire. The large thimble is very good also, but not as good, and you can see that mold was worn when this thimble was made. The waffle pattern top is very distinctive and from some research we have done would place the small thimble to the late 1600's to very early 1700's and the larger one mid to late 1700's. Great Grannies thimbles perhaps?

IMG_3685.jpg
IMG_3686.jpg

As an aside, there is a story about these thimbles. After we bought our old farm, I was detecting there exclusively for months. The first time we went elsewhere again we got these thimbles. The next day I was back on my land, thinking about these thimbles and walking along a path I detected many many times. I got an absolute screamer of a signal that jolted me out of my thoughts, I still can't imagine how I missed it previously. Absolutely true, I thought to myself, 'jealous are you, lets see if you can give me something better than those bronze thimbles', and with that, I dug my only complete silver thimble. I couldn't believe my eyes. Then I looked at the inscription that read 'Forget Me Not' and I had to stop and sit down. One of those great coincidences that happens from time to time. Here it is:

IMG_3691.jpg
IMG_3692.jpg

Also in the box was this old spoon, just as we found it. Complete and flat, although fire damaged. And look at that rat tail. This has to be one of the oldest spoons I have found. There are no marks that I can see.

IMG_3667.jpg

Again, in the box (I should really say box area) was this, the only cross we have ever found. It was either fashioned into a hook or was one all along.

IMG_3672.jpg

This little copper alloy ring was the final item we believe was in the box.

IMG_3674.jpg

Of the buttons that we have found here, apart from the artillery found yesterday, one stands out:

IMG_3661.jpg

Note that this naval button does not have the surrounding shield, this makes it pre 1787 in date, I believe this pattern is from the early 1770's and is an officers button. Originally silver, it has blackened and bubbled due to the fire, but the metal is really good. I am really pleased with this one. There was a button maker named W R Smith (1790 - 1832) making US naval buttons in the early 19th century, I am not sure if it is the same maker. If it is and is after 1790 could it be American? I doubt it with the Prince of Wales marking on the reverse. Here is a good reference https://www.angelfire.com/wa/dianaspage/reference/BritishNavy.html

IMG_3662.jpg
IMG_3663.jpg

Here is a comparison with a later 1795- 1812 Captain / Commander / Lieutenant button that came from my land:

IMG_3693.jpg

Here is a nice clog clasp, as well as the adjoining bit folded up. The Prince of Wales motif likely represents the future George IV when he was acting as regent for the ill George III.

IMG_3677.jpg

These heavy lead pewter tops are likely from a tea service:

IMG_3678.jpg

Here is a perfume stopper and likely a furniture fitting, although it appears to have been gilt at one point:

IMG_3679.jpg

And what is this? It is bronze, heavy for its size, and appears unbroken. I am stumped, any ideas?

IMG_3680.jpg

IMG_3682.jpg

These bronze rings all came out of one hole. Note the cloth attached to some. What would these be for?

IMG_3684.jpg

I assume this to be an aglet of some sort:

IMG_3676.jpg

We have only found one coin to date at this site, and it is an unusual one, a one year only Swedish 1 Kroner from 1719. Very well worn but not really corroded, it was old when lost.

IMG_3670.jpg

Below is a cartridge from a Snider Enfield. It is a .577 caliber. In 1866 the British started converting their 1853 Lee Enfield's to Sniders. By the 1870's they were being replaced by Martini-Henries. We have found a few of these now which is not really surprising as the Halifax Citadel has the worlds largest collection of these guns. You can go there and fire one.

The musket ball beside it has been chewed by something with very small sharp teeth.

IMG_3669.jpg

And my favorite from the site is this wonderful alley. It's huge compared to the 50 cent piece and you can still see the cross hatch marking.

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3689.jpg

Non-detectable, I am really pleased with this.

Good luck everyone, I am keen to see your finds.

Attachments

• IMG_3668.jpg
    IMG_3668.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3661.jpg
    IMG_3661.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
Upvote 8
Yesterday I thought I would take the dog and hit an interesting site other than my old farm that is not far away.
Sometimes it's just nice to go to a different fishing hole, know what I mean?

This is a really hard site to detect. It is very rocky, granite boulder size rocky, and there is about 6" or more of loose but root clogged peat over the ground. Some years back loggers went thru with essentially a bulldozer and upended everything and left dried limbs and branches haphazard everywhere, in some places feet deep.

In the middle of that is the foundation of a house that burned to the ground in the 19th century with all contents inside. I truly hope the people got out, it was a bad fire.

I only found a few good items yesterday, so I will also use this time to show the best of what has come from this site:

View attachment 2173975

Here are the two best items from yesterday, I also found a number of spikes, buckles and various iron items not shown.
The suspender buckle, which still works after 150 years in the ground, is marked Paris and Soldie, it would be 1860's to early 1870's. The convex button is an artillery button, with the three cannons in a shield. This would date to the War of 1812 era and is the only one of this type that we have found. We have found later, 2 piece ones at other sites so despite its condition I am well pleased with this.

View attachment 2173980 View attachment 2173981

My son is a collector of military items, so this badge from the 74th is his favorite. He thinks is is most likely from an ammo pouch or something similar.
At the top there should be a crown, we will find that at some point, and the back are traces of the lead backing. The rest would have melted out in the fire.
This again is War of 1812 era.

View attachment 2173983 View attachment 2173984

What is interesting is that we found a small tin box, 85% disintegrated, that we think was a keepsake box. It was close to where the mantle of the fireplace would have been. The badge above was in that box, along with this:

View attachment 2173985

We are certain that this is a tin type photograph, how I wish the image was still there. I think the thin bits of silver also found were part of the folding box frame that these photos are often in. The horseshoe bit in the upper right is double sided, so that may be from something else.

Also in the box were these two thimbles. The smaller thimble on the left is bronze and of very high quality, the metal is really good, especially when considering that these went thru a fire. The large thimble is very good also, but not as good, and you can see that mold was worn when this thimble was made. The waffle pattern top is very distinctive and from some research we have done would place the small thimble to the late 1600's to very early 1700's and the larger one mid to late 1700's. Great Grannies thimbles perhaps?

View attachment 2173990 View attachment 2173991

As an aside, there is a story about these thimbles. After we bought our old farm, I was detecting there exclusively for months. The first time we went elsewhere again we got these thimbles. The next day I was back on my land, thinking about these thimbles and walking along a path I detected many many times. I got an absolute screamer of a signal that jolted me out of my thoughts, I still can't imagine how I missed it previously. Absolutely true, I thought to myself, 'jealous are you, lets see if you can give me something better than those bronze thimbles', and with that, I dug my only complete silver thimble. I couldn't believe my eyes. Then I looked at the inscription that read 'Forget Me Not' and I had to stop and sit down. One of those great coincidences that happens from time to time. Here it is:

View attachment 2174034 View attachment 2174035

Also in the box was this old spoon, just as we found it. Complete and flat, although fire damaged. And look at that rat tail. This has to be one of the oldest spoons I have found. There are no marks that I can see.

View attachment 2173996

Again, in the box (I should really say box area) was this, the only cross we have ever found. It was either fashioned into a hook or was one all along.

View attachment 2174005

This little copper alloy ring was the final item we believe was in the box.

View attachment 2174037

Of the buttons that we have found here, apart from the artillery found yesterday, one stands out:

View attachment 2174008

Note that this naval button does not have the surrounding shield, this makes it pre 1787 in date, I believe this pattern is from the early 1770's and is an officers button. Originally silver, it has blackened and bubbled due to the fire, but the metal is really good. I am really pleased with this one. There was a button maker named W R Smith (1790 - 1832) making US naval buttons in the early 19th century, I am not sure if it is the same maker. If it is and is after 1790 could it be American? I doubt it with the Prince of Wales marking on the reverse. Here is a good reference https://www.angelfire.com/wa/dianaspage/reference/BritishNavy.html

View attachment 2174009 View attachment 2174010

Here is a comparison with a later 1795- 1812 Captain / Commander / Lieutenant button that came from my land:

View attachment 2174040

Here is a nice clog clasp, as well as the adjoining bit folded up. The Prince of Wales motif likely represents the future George IV when he was acting as regent for the ill George III.

View attachment 2174011

These heavy lead pewter tops are likely from a tea service:

View attachment 2174012

Here is a perfume stopper and likely a furniture fitting, although it appears to have been gilt at one point:

View attachment 2174014

And what is this? It is bronze, heavy for its size, and appears unbroken. I am stumped, any ideas?

View attachment 2174015

View attachment 2174016

These bronze rings all came out of one hole. Note the cloth attached to some. What would these be for?

View attachment 2174017

I assume this to be an aglet of some sort:

View attachment 2174020

We have only found one coin to date at this site, and it is an unusual one, a one year only Swedish 1 Kroner from 1719. Very well worn but not really corroded, it was old when lost.

View attachment 2174033

Below is a cartridge from a Snider Enfield. It is a .577 caliber. In 1866 the British started converting their 1853 Lee Enfield's to Sniders. By the 1870's they were being replaced by Martini-Henries. We have found a few of these now which is not really surprising as the Halifax Citadel has the worlds largest collection of these guns. You can go there and fire one.

The musket ball beside it has been chewed by something with very small sharp teeth.

View attachment 2174028

And my favorite from the site is this wonderful alley. It's huge compared to the 50 cent piece and you can still see the cross hatch marking.

View attachment 2174031

View attachment 2174032
Non-detectable, I am really pleased with this.

Good luck everyone, I am keen to see your finds.
Wow. Congrats. I’ll agree with your son, I like the 74 item. I’ll try to look up the navy button and revert back if I’m successful.

Boy oh boy...that's like a whole season of finds in one spot. Great photos....really great finds. Well done.

Wonderful finds, great writeup and photos. I greatly enjoyed it!
I wonder whether the cast brass piece is part of a very old gun lock mechanism. Maybe even a replacement piece for a worn original one. If not, I still think it is part of some mechanism that moves, like a clock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back