A piece of silver metal

G

goldprospector7

I was metal detecting two years ago at the park here in Ontario, Oregon. I was working around by the merry go round when I came up upon a piece of silver metal about 2 inches wide by 2 inches long and about 1/2 inch thick. It has a little patch of black on it which measures about 1/2 inch on one section around the edge. I smelled it and it didn't have no metal smell to it. I took it home and tried my gold acid on it. 18 karet didnt do nothing to it. Like I said before, it seems to have some good weight. The silver shines really bright and is very pretty. It doent rust, I will try to get a pic of it on here in the near future. Puzzled in Ontario, Oregon.

Wetgreenie said:
I would imagine Silver smells much more delicious.... :P

Interesting.... I've never contemplated the potential palatability of my finds.

Anyone for pulltab etouffee?

GP7,

Does a magnet stick to it?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
goldprospector7

If you could provide a picture and possibly a volumn vs weight, you might get immediate responses. Usually volumn displacement + weight could identify or classify the metal more easily.

Upvote 0
Thanks everybody for being intrested in this piece of silver metal. I do have a scale but would have to dig it out, which I will in due time. For now heres a pic of the metal. It doesnt have a distinct smell like other metal, it really doesnt have a smell at all. Very strange. Like I said its very shiny. Its a very beautiful piece of metal what ever it is. Nitric Acid doesn't do nothing to it. Like I said I tried 18k on it and didnt phase it. Its a mystery to me. Alien object keeps poping in my head though. I know, I'm crazy.

Attachments

• Photo008.jpg
    Photo008.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 274
  • Photo009.jpg
    Photo009.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 285
Upvote 0
Sorry about the 2nd pic, it was alittle out of focus.

Upvote 0
Ahhh, we have had a few threads with material very similar to the one you pictured here.
For those who can search one was titled "silver rock"

My reply has been the same. To me they look like they could be Silicon.
This is mostly known as a man made material and can be found naturally
but rarely.

Silicon would not scratch like metal but be more brittle and flake or chip off.
it would also normally show with a brighter sheen than the pic I included.

Attachments

• silicon.jpg
    silicon.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 245
Upvote 0
I'm going to take a hammer to it and see If I can break off a peice at the edge. What about the acid test, is acid accceptable to it. Thanks for your reply.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back