btortoise

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2014
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
White's MXT E-series, Eclipse 950 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These 2 brass or copper items were found within 2 feet of each other. The one on the left still has a metal hook or tang attached. Looking at the ends of both, I can see where there were hooks on each end but broken off. The hooks would not stand up to repeated bending. They appear to be stamped because one side has an indented image while the opposite side side image is raised. The metal is only about .035" thick. The site is open farmland now, but had been the site of a plantation founded about 1750 in eastern N.C. There had been a fair amount of activity on the site over the years but any buildings are long gone. I had previously found a pre-CW steel backed Army Staff button there. That is not to say that these things have anything to with any war, but I just don't know. They were both about 4 to 6 inches deep but the field has been worked many times. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 65
They kind of look like some kind of decorations, that would go on a leather strap for example or maybe a belt even. The tabs would be put through holes in the leather then folded over to hold them in place. :dontknow: Was thinking leather because of time period mentioned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back