a little help on some old coins?

909windy

Apr 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would love to know anything on these specific coins, location, worth, historical fact anything at all would be great!! IMG_1667.JPGIMG_1668.JPGIMG_1669.JPGIMG_1670.JPG

Upvote 1
:icon_thumright:

Welcome to TreasureNet.....Were did you get these coins, it would seem one has already been tagged :icon_scratch:

SS

Probably would be easier to just send them to me, lol

what do u mean tagged? and is that good or bad? we have had them in our collection for awhile. i will be posting like 10 more coins

what do u mean tagged? and is that good or bad? we have had them in our collection for awhile. i will be posting like 10 more coins
Tagged as in part Id...did you buy these coins?

SS

i dont remember its been along time. are they worth anything?

we bought them i think it was like 150 total for both

we bought them i think it was like 150 total for both
Well they look like real Cobs to me, but I would post them in the Cob forum and let they guys look at them there.

SS

You don't remember if you bought them, or found them....

SS

wOw....

Um, on another subject, SS? Would you PLEASE tell me what the word "COB" means? Is it a proper name? An acronym? An abbreviation????

I know this is probably the DUMBEST question ever on here. But, I've asked several times and nobody has even acted like they heard the question! :icon_scratch:

I could have looked it up several times by now too. :tongue3: But I keep forgetting how to spell it! LOL

HH!

wOw....

Um, on another subject, SS? Would you PLEASE tell me what the word "COB" means? Is it a proper name? An acronym? An abbreviation????

I know this is probably the DUMBEST question ever on here. But, I've asked several times and nobody has even acted like they heard the question! :icon_scratch:

I could have looked it up several times by now too. :tongue3: But I keep forgetting how to spell it! LOL

HH!
Sure.....These small sliver clumps were simply cut into chunks of the appropriate weight from silver bars, and were hammer struck between crude dies. In fact, the Spanish word "cabo" (from which the English "cob" is derived) refers to the end; in this instance, the clump of silver clipped off the end of the bar...

SS

Last edited:
Sure.....These small sliver clumps were simply cut into chunks of the appropriate weight from silver bars, and were hammer struck between crude dies. In fact, the Spanish word "cabo" (from which the English "cob" is derived) refers to the end; in this instance, the clump of silver clipped off the end of the bar...

SS

Spanish! CABO! NOW I see it!

Hallelujah!!

Thanks SS!!!
HH!

Top coin is a 4-reales cob coin. For proper alignment, align the coin so that the '4' is at the 12 o'clock position .
The other coin appears to be a 1-R coin from Potosi ("P") in the lower right; with a date ending in "7". The letters (if you had them all) would read PLV SVL TRA.
Don.....

Spanish! CABO! NOW I see it!

Hallelujah!!

Thanks SS!!!
HH!

I thought they were called "cobs" because the silver rolls they were cut from resembled, well, silver corn cobs.

now that got a laugh * you really are new at this -- yes it appears to be spanish silver cob type coins -- a bit worn most likely off a shipwreck find or metal detector or eye ball find from a "beach find" from a "offshore wreck" that washed ashore .( guessing that due to the "condition")

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back