A Liberty Cap cent

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Got out to a field I have been out to a bunch of times. Not a lot of targets dug but I got this nice copper. This is the third liberty cap cent I have ever dug. This is not the greatest in shape, but its the best one I ever dug. Of course there is no date. They were minted between 1793 and 1796.

image-2350303020.jpg

image-3354236392.jpg

image-2400196266.jpg

image-1028692405.jpg

Thank you

Upvote 4
Congrats on the LC and Buff!! :thumbsup:

Holey Cow! That's the 4th one posted in a week and a half here on TNet ~ Awsome! Congrats! :icon_thumright:

1700s would be the highlight of detecting here,
Great find and congrats!

Congrats. A lot of Liberty Caps posted recently.

nice finds i want one

Very nice! The back of yours is in nicer shape than the one I posted yesterday, but I can read a date on mine! :)

Congratulations!

I wood kill for just one but to hav three wood b a dream.. CONGRATS.. HH

I see what looks like 1796 in the second shot of the original post. Have a look.

Nice Find!!!

-Nate

Attachments

• 1796centdate.jpg
    1796centdate.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 111
dirtdigger1581 said:
I see what looks like 1796 in the second shot of the original post. Have a look.

Nice Find!!!

-Nate

I looked about a dozen times. LOL. I can just make out a nine.

I was going to post and say it is a 1796, and it might be the Sheldon 84 variety but not quite sure of the reverse matching but if the one leaf on the reverse is nearly touching the letter F in OF, than I would go with S-84.
1796 Large Cent - Sheldon 84

The distance of the last digit which looks more like a 6 than a 5 matches where some varieties of 1796 date is and the 9 and "6" seem to match proper location for S-84.

ticm,

Neat old LC.....sometimes if you put tracing paper over the badly worn coins and lightly go over the date area with a lead pencil you can lift a date off them.....it's worth a shot.

Regards + HH

Bill

Don in SJ said:
I was going to post and say it is a 1796, and it might be the Sheldon 84 variety but not quite sure of the reverse matching but if the one leaf on the reverse is nearly touching the letter F in OF, than I would go with S-84.
1796 Large Cent - Sheldon 84

The distance of the last digit which looks more like a 6 than a 5 matches where some varieties of 1796 date is and the 9 and "6" seem to match proper location for S-84.

I took a good look at the reverse. One of the leafs is or looks to be touching the F. Thank you for the info. .

hey your cleaning all the coins out....Save some for us! Nice finds again Sir!

hey ticm , man that's nice :o,, it's always a great D tecting day when you snag a early USA liberty cap large cent , yep :headbang:1796 !!

:skullflag: CMDdawg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back